The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

What If People Cared About Their Hygiene As Much As Their Cellphones?

YIKES! What’s that smell? 

As people go through time they become more invested in cellular devices than their personal health…including hygiene. When these things are ignored, smells start engulfing noses all around. Imagine what would happen if people paid the same amount of attention or hygiene as they do their phones?

Ms. Holli Ness, an art teacher, would love to see that occur. “I honestly think that the cell phone was one of the worst inventions ever created!” Continuing, she explains that people should take as much interest in their own lives as they do with the artificiality of the TikTok world in which they live. People could all look like movie stars–the very elaborate movie star look as they walk the red carpet–and smell like freshly baked apple pie on a warm summer day. Let’s break this down a bit.

Imagine this: Every time people  have the urge to look at TikTok, they brush their hair instead. Every time they think about sending a text message, they touch up their makeup or tuck in their shirt instead. Every time they want to post to their story on Snapchat, they brush their teeth instead. And, last but not least, every time they desire taking a selfie, they spray on perfume, deodorant, or cologne instead. What a wonderful smelling place the world would be! Moreover, everyone would be enjoying a new and inviting view, because they would actually be seeing the actual people around them instead of watching strangers through a 3″ x 6″ screen!

Mrs. Janis Elli, an English teacher, ponders that thought with delight: “Everyone would smell wonderful, have beautiful hair and make-up,  and sparkling white teeth.” Instead, most teachers have to rely on the air freshener stashed under their desks to eliminate unwelcomed smells, hold their breath as they work with groups in an overly hot room, and beg students to put away their phones so as to engage in learning something that will actually enhance their lives.

It’s time that people clean up their act! Nobody enjoys the musky body odor that comes with ignoring one’s personal hygiene and well being. It’s quite distracting–and most would agree that if everyone put all that energy into taking care of themselves rather than scrolling through social media on their phone, the world would be a much happier and far more fragrant world. If