The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

Advances In Technology Create A Decline In Human Interactions

An advanced, innovative, and groundbreaking tool, technology was made for the sole purpose of helping humanity.  The manner in which technology is being used is making humans lazier. 

Technology has benefited millions of lives by facilitating communication. The Internet and technology have made it possible to communicate with loved ones all over the world. Texting and calling makes it easy to talk to others without having to be physically present. However, humans have been using this tool to talk to everyone, including people who may even live with them. Losing the communication in a relationship will affect the connection. The simple act of putting technology aside and having real conversations can deepen relationships. If humans become too lazy to even maintain their one-on one-connections, then there is a serious problem. 

Online applications have made it possible to do almost anything. Media apps like Netflix, Hulu, MAX, Disney Plus, and Prime Video provide endless entertainment. Access to thousands of shows and movies are at the tip of one’s fingers. Streaming movies at home eliminates the hassle of getting ready, driving, and then paying at a movie theater. Being in the comfort of home and eating a favorite food is the popular choice. There are other apps–like Doordash, Grubhub, Taskrabbit and online grocery shopping–that provide complete services without getting off the couch. Some deliver food, while others can find people who are willing to do tasks for some payment. Subsequently, fewer people are going in person to physical stores. Grocery shopping has been a common task among families that is slowly being eliminated due to these apps. It is also possible to find people who will clean one’s house, mow the lawn, and even pay one’s bills…for money. This gets rid of the necessity to do menial chores when it may be easier to pay someone to do it. People are becoming lazy once they grow accustomed to this new technology. 

The intended purpose of technology was to advance human existence. Unfortunately, there are negative effects that stem from technology. Technology being a distraction is a very popular one. Social media apps , such as Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat–but specifically TikTok–engage users profoundly, making them addicted. Elkhart High School Junior Sergio Gonzalez says, “If I can’t focus on an assignment, I am easily tempted to open my phone and watch TikTok.”

The invention of technology has made it easy to access information that is actually helpful to students. Undoubtedly, this is true. People however, have become distracted and lose focus, causing them to use technology in an non-beneficial way. When humans have free time, they are no longer turning to hobbies for entertainment. Instead people are going directly to technology, which is proving to be harmful. “About 99% of the time I have free time I’ll get on my phone,” admits Gonzalez. This is the reality for a prodigious number of people. More and more people are ditching healthy, mind-stimulating habits for some mind-numbing downtime with a non-human: technology. When technology is being abused, it will incite an epidemic of laziness.