The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

New Year…Same Photo

Old ID photos pose a new problem in the way of security

Rule #1: ID’s on.

IDs are used for security purposes, but is it really secure if the picture doesn’t look like the wearer any longer?

Every year, new school photos are taken for the yearbook. However, the pictures on the IDs have not been updated for two years, which can be dangerous–especially if the student changes in appearance and no longer looks like his or her ID photo. Hairstyles change in length and color, makeup becomes a staple, braces come off (or on), faces mature, facial hair can replace that peach fuzz, acne might vanish–a lot can happen to radically alter one’s appearance at any stage in a person’s life, let alone a growing teenager. Thus, if the purpose of the photo IDs is meant to show that the wearer and the person in the photo are one and the same, then  Elkhart High School has a massive breach in security protocol. 

Sophomore Cooper Swinehart states that his ID picture is undeniably outdated, and he believes they must update it. “ Yes, I do think they need updated, because I’ve had the same ID picture for several years–and it’s time I get a new one.” He contends that his picture looks nothing like him, a predicament that is true for most high schoolers. “A lot of people look almost nothing like they did a couple years ago, so the ID’s are kinda pointless–except in the lunchline.” 

Fellow sophomore, Eliana Hakaj, agrees. She indicates that the pictures need to be updated, as well.” I do think they should update our ID pictures so that our IDs can reflect an accurate representation of us.” Hakaj then goes on to say they are a security issue since they are so outdated. “This could be considered a security issue if people don’t look like their ID.” 

As with a driver’s license photo, no one expects an ID to look like a professional photograph. However, it should at least resemble the person wearing it. Moreover, having students wear prepubescent ID photos is more than just a security breach–it’s embarrassing!