The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

Swift Relationship: The Numbers Don’t Lie

Swift Relationship: The Numbers Dont Lie

The impact Travis and Taylor’s relationship has had on the NFL is crazy. So, how did it even start? 

Since the rumors of the couple were announced, Travis Kelce’s fame has exploded. Despite having made a name for himself as a tight end for the Kansas City Chiefs, Kelce was an unknown to many in the music world. Since the rumors have leaked, however, Travis Kelce No. 87 jersey sales have shot up 400 percent. Kelce also has a podcast with his older brother, Jason Kelce (the center for the Philadelphia Eagles), which shot up to the No. 1 spot on Apple podcasts–not to mention his gaining 383K followers on Instagram. All this is thanks to his relationship with Taylor Swift.

In the latest episode of the brother’s podcast called New Heights, the Chiefs tight end describes one of the most notable changes in his life, saying, “I’ve noticed a few things: paparazzi outside my house, stuff like that, for sure.” Jason Kelce questioned his brother, asking if it was truly paparazzi. “One hundred percent–and they all have British accents, too, or something European! They have a camera in their hands, and they’re screaming my name.” 

But, despite all of the rise in fame, is the relationship even official? On July 26, Kelce revealed that he had gone to one of Swift’s performances and wrote his phone number on a friendship bracelet to give to Taylor. But, the singer wasn’t doing any meet-and-greets because of the length of her performance. Thus, on Aug. 5, the Chiefs posted a TikTok asking Kelce who his childhood celebrity crush was. Without him responding, his teammate chimed in saying, “Taylor Swift!” In response to this Kelce laughed and walked away with a big smile. Then, on Aug. 31, Jason Kelce asked Travis what Taylor thought about his mustache. The younger brother responded, “Yeah, we’re not gonna bring up Taylor Swift, but something tells me she’s gonna like it.” That takes followers to Sunday, Sept. 24, when the couple became visibly obvious, with Swift making a very special appearance at the Chiefs vs. Bears game. Swift was seen sitting in Kelce’s box making small talk and laughing with his mom, Donna Kelce. The internet instantly blew up. 

After the football game, the two were seen walking out together and leaving in Kelce’s convertible–with Travis wearing a paint splatter matching denim outfit. Some fans thought maybe he was trying to impress Swift by wearing the colors of her “1989” album. After they were seen walking out, it was reported that Kelce had rented out an entire restaurant for him, Swift, and his teammates. An eyewitness told ET this: “Travis bought out the restaurant for his family and team. Taylor arrived, wearing a denim dress, and was seen snacking, having some cocktails and dancing alongside Travis. The two were very affectionate with one another but kept things fun and lighthearted. Travis’ teammates also showed up to the after-party, as well as his mom, Donna Kelce. The party lasted until 2 a.m.” 

Despite all the rumors, it seems as though the couple is legit and off to a great start. With all of this, some fans still love the fact that Kelce has his signature move that is similar to Swifts “archer” pose that she does during her performances. As well as Taylor’s lucky number being 13 and Travis’ jersey number being 87, the two add up to 100. Kelce is also Swift’s 13th boyfriend, which also matches with her lucky number. The numbers don’t lie, and the couple is one everyone is talking about and loving on. It’s only a matter of time until the world sees how the relationship goes.