The EHS Stage Will Be “Green” This Fall

Anne of Green Gables will be performed on stage Nov. 5-7.

Kami Bell, Staff Writer

At school, she’s Ashley Garber, but on Nov. 5, she will become Anne Shirley–affectionately known as “Anne with an E.”

With a full house of students auditioning, it was clear that not everyone would be given a role. However, when the cast list was posted, Ashley Garber’s name topped the list, as she was chosen to take on the titular role of Anne in Anne of Green Gables. “This is my first play, so I was shocked that I was even asked to come in for callbacks, let alone for the lead!” exclaims Garber. “I feel Anne is a character which everyone can relate to in many aspects–whether it be her struggle to fit in, or her vivacious nature that puts a smile on anyone’s face.” Pausing momentarily, she adds, “I’m very excited to portray her, because it’s almost as though I get to experience childhood again through her eyes.”

With less than a month before showtime,  the entire cast is cracking down on their roles in an effort to bring their characters to life. Mrs. Kristin Baker, the fall play director, is feeling particularly hyped about this year’s performers. “I am so excited about our cast for the fall play!” she exclaims. “We have quite a few new faces to the program!” The theater attracts a wide array of students who all share a love of theater. But, of course, there are always returning members who set an excellent example for the new recruits. “As usual, our veterans are rocking it!,” Baker adds. “But, I am extremely impressed with the amount of talent in the freshman and sophomore classes.” To Baker, this forecasts a sunny future for not only this play but also for the theater program itself.

Baker is not the only one excited about this play–so are her actors. Senior Elizabeth Robey is elated about her role as the stern farm owner–Marilla Cuthbert–who adopts Anne. “I’m so very grateful for the role I’ve received,” Robey mentions. “It is, somewhat arguably, the first lead role I’ve received while doing theater in this school.” Standing a bit taller, she adds, “I’m excited to have the chance to show off what I can do!” 

Colleen Conners is also feeling quite confident about the fall play. “I’m really excited about my role, too” she states. Conners will take on the part of Cuthbert’s friend, Rachel Lynde. “She’s the town gossip and kind of snarky–the complete opposite of me!” Conners says with a wink. “We have an amazing group of people both in front of the curtain and behind the scenes!” 

The actors cannot wait to take the stage as the curtain rises and the story of Anne Shirley unfolds. However, it will be a team effort to tell the tale of this one girl: Anne…with an E. 

Performance dates are Nov. 5-7 in the EHS auditorium. Showtimes feature a 7 p.m. curtain on both Friday and Saturday. Sunday’s matinee will be at 2 p.m. Tickets are $5 for students/seniors; adults are $8.