The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

Multiverse Mystery: An “Out Of This World” Play

United Theatre highlights a diversity in a light-hearted production

Soaring into Elkhart High School is an original play celebrating the diversity of students here–but set in the cartoon multiverse! 

Elkhart High School’s United Theatre class, directed by Mrs. Kristen Baker and co-assisted by special needs teacher Mrs. Tracey Weirich,  has put together an original play–Multiverse Mystery–to showcase the diversity in the real world, using cartoon multiverses. Sophomore Ian Kelly, who plays the role of Sherlock Holmes, is credited with having drafted the script, while others, including senior Cheyenne Bowe, are responsible for the staging and other aspects behind the scenes. “When we’re not on stage,” Bowe states, “we’re in back making sure that everyone knows their cues.” When she does take the stage, however, Bowe can be seen as the Queen of Hearts.

The conception of this play was a first for Kelly, who shares his experiences:  “Writing this was very fun; it was great to have something as light-hearted as the first script I ever wrote.” Adding, he states. “It was really helpful to be able to know the cast before I started writing, so I could tailor the story arc and characters to better fit the message and cast. As for how it’s going,” he concludes, “I think it’s going as well as it can be, though we’re still in the rehearsal process! The props look great, and it’s so fulfilling to see a show I wrote coming together with such a great message. I think it’ll be a fun little adventure when show day comes.”

Baker is equally optimistic. “It’s going really well. That class is such a joy!” she asserts. “The benefits of pairing neurotypical students with students who have unique needs is awesome.” Weirich, too,  loves to see all the students from different groups and statuses getting along and coming together to present this production. “Our United Theatre class is going great!” she stresses. “It is wonderful to witness so many students of varying abilities come together to create something memorable, have fun together, and build friendships. This year’s production is extremely creative,” Weirich also notes, “and we have lots of costumes and recognizable characters which we think our audience will enjoy as much as we do.”

Multiverse Mystery will be a one-time performance in which United Theatre hopes teachers will bring their classes. Show time is at 12:30 p.m. (B-lunch) on Tuesday, May 14, in the Little Theater. Individual students attending the half-hour play will need to come on a pass. Teachers signing up their classes, however, may do so online and arrive as a group. “The play is out of this world!” Bowe exclaims. “You have to come see it!”