The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

EHS Choir Closes The Year On A High Note

As the school year comes to a close, the Elkhart High Choir is gearing up for their much anticipated May 28 Spring Sing concert. This year, the concert will feature a special treat: every choir group will perform a dance routine in one of their numbers.

The concert’s centerpiece will be a collaborative performance of “Remember Me” from the movie Coco, featuring all three choir groups. This emotional song is sure to tug at the heartstrings of the audience! 

This year also marks the debut of the Roaring Blue’s first Spring Sing, with energizing songs like “I’m Still Standing” and “Superstition” sure to liven up the stage and invigorate the audience.

Neveah Link, a junior and one of the choir’s most dedicated members, shares her feelings about the year ending. “It’s very sad and sentimental,” Link says, reflecting on the friendships formed with her fellow choir members, particularly the seniors. She credits the choir’s dance choreographer, Daviana Winfield, for her hard work of choreography across seven classes, making the concert extra special.

Senior Isabelle Swartzell looks back fondly on her time in the choir. “Choir is definitely the thing I’m gonna miss most about high school. The community and people in choir are fun to be around,” she states. She recalls “Ain’t No Grave” as her favorite piece to have performed throughout her years in choir, due to its feminist themes and deep emotions of the lyrics. 

Senior Daviana Winfield, choir’s dance choreographer and also a student at EHS, talks about her journey and the fulfillment it brings. “I love dancing, and I remember just seeing the choreographer last year, and I wondered if that would be something I could do, too. I had the opportunity to choreograph for the musical this year, and it really boosted my confidence,” she explains. The process, though challenging, has been rewarding for her. “The most fulfilling part is seeing the finished product,” Winfield says, though she admits, “The most frustrating aspect is having to balance responsibilities out and showing that I can keep doing this.”

She also mentions her enjoyment in choreographing “Boogie Wonderland,” a song that allows her to combine her love for disco with the thrill of teaching dance. “I love giving them simple dances but also pushing them. I try to push them a little bit because you never get better at something [dance] until you really try it,” she notes, emphasizing her commitment to helping the choir improve.

With the choir preparing for their final show of the year, the anticipation is off the roof. With the Red Rose ceremony planned to honor the seniors, the evening is set to be both a celebration of the students’ incredible musical talents and the unforgettable memories they’ve created together.