The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

Movies Can Be Life-Changing Experiences

Globally, humans savor watching films–any film…drama, horror, romance, and even coming-of-age stories.

Visuals, cinematography, and music can have a lasting impact on how someone views a storyline and how it will affect his or her life. All of it is created to make one feel like he or she is a part of something outside of themselves. Several movies can alter one’s perspective on life. How one views the world and approaches issues in his or her life can be influenced or changed by mind-bending masterpieces. 

When one is introduced to a story that they find themselves engrossed in, it is difficult to not become emotionally invested. Senior Dorothy Moyer says, “Movies that changed my perspective on life would be The Breakfast Club, Ferris Buller’s Day Off, and Stand By Me.” She adds, “They taught valuable lessons, such as: this your closest friends will stick with you until the end, you have to enjoy life or you will not remember good memories, and that you shouldn’t judge others based on their appearance.” These movies and others have left some thinking about their own lives and how they may want to change even something small within it. Many have benefited from watching life-changing films, because they depict real-life issues on screen. They show triumphs and struggles faced by individuals.

Cinema creates a safe space for viewers to engage with several perspectives, which encourage them to reevaluate their own beliefs. Junior Sarah Roberts says, “Five Feet Apart is a great movie. In the movie, the main male character lets himself die because he wants to protect the main female character.” She continues, “Being more kind to others is a good lesson I’ve learned, and others can learn to apply this to their daily lives by just being unconditionally kind with others.” Films are allowing the viewer to connect with the feelings of the characters and get a glimpse of a world beyond. 

Films have the ability to influence cultures by shaping beliefs and values, often blurring the lines between fantasy and reality. Several filmmakers have left lasting impressions on societal norms. It is encouraged to watch films that can alter one’s brain chemistry a bit and adjust to different perspectives on screen.