Meet the Tech Team: Fresh Meat Edition

Say hello to the students who joined MSTS this semester!

Abigail Gratzol, Staff Writer

In the Elkhart Community School system, technology problems are considered especially heinous. At Elkhart Memorial, the dedicated interns who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as Memorial Student Tech Services (MSTS).

This semester, MSTS gained four new members. These are their stories.

Alexander Thome

Abigail Gratzol
Senior Alexander Thome joined MSTS this semester.

Goes by: Alex

Grade: 12

Team position: Digital Content Manager

Why did you join MSTS?  I joined to further my knowledge and learn new technological skills.

What career do you think you will go into?  Mechanical Engineer

How will the Tech Internship help you in your career and/or achieve your goals?  The Tech Internship will help me achieve my goals by teaching me new skills as well as improving myself overall.

Andrew Holloman

Abigail Gratzol
Junior Andrew Holloman joined MSTS this semester.

Goes by: Andy

Grade: 11

Team position: I am the team Human Resources and I am also the Team Trainer for new students joining MSTS.

Why did you join MSTS?  I wanted to join MSTS at the beginning of my sophomore year, but I didn’t have the time in my schedule. Now that I have the time and room in my schedule, I am happy to be part of the MSTS team.

What career do you think you will go into?  I have two choices in mind. I mainly want to be a social worker, working specifically with families and couples of all kinds. My second choice is to work as an IT worker, fixing tech issues as a profession beyond the MSTS internship.

How will the Tech Internship help you in your career and/or achieve your goals?  The Tech Internship will not help me in my goal to be a social worker, but it will help me work an IT job and help me apply to college to take college courses directed towards IT. Tech is an interest of mine, but my spectrum of interests is wide and working the Tech Internship will not help pursue all of my interests later in life.

Gracee Brewer

Abigail Gratzol
Sophomore Gracee Brewer joined MSTS this semester.

Goes by: I prefer Gracee, but most people call me Grace

Grade: 10

Team position: Social Media Director. I’m in charge of the green screen and podcast— basically the entertainment aspect. I get to learn how to use the microphone and the green screen then teach the team and maybe other students or teachers about how to use it.

Why did you join MSTS?  I grew up with technology and my brother was a super techy person, and he’s really inspired me to follow my techy dreams. I am also doing, or trying to do, a tech apprenticeship in the local area. I thought that starting with the tech desk I would get some of the experience I may need, especially with helping people and communicating. 

What career do you think you will go into?  Tech, obviously. That’s what my father and step brother did, so I’m gonna follow after them. Helping people, especially in a techy way, has been my passion for a while now and I’d like to turn that passion into my career in the near future.

How will the Tech Internship help you in your career and/or achieve your goals?  Yes, especially in the communicating and technology aspects of my soon to be career.

Jordan Walls

Abigail Gratzol
Sophomore Jordan Walls joined MSTS this semester.

Goes by: Jordan 

Grade: 10

Team position: Archiver and Education Specialist (biographies, bulletin board for old team photographs, green screen)

Why did you join MSTS?  I needed something a little more entertaining and more to do during my study hall. I joined also for a little more social interaction and hope to meet some new people through this.

What career do you think you will go into?  I want to become a chiropractor and a nail technician. 

How will the Tech Internship help you in your career and/or achieve your goals?  I’m not sure how it will help me, but I think it will allow me to learn how to help set up appointments and figure out how to explain how everything works to a client.

And that’s everyone! If you missed part one which introduces the rest of the team, check it out here!

Cassidy Ward
(Top row, left to right: Senior Benjamin Rutledge, Senior Noah Hardy, Senior Alexander Thome, Senior Brayden Hines, Junior Andy Holloman, Sophomore Nathan Taylor, and Supervisor Cory Metcalfe. Bottom row, left to right: Service Desk Coordinator Tiffany Faigh, Senior Abigail Gratzol, Senior Sean Khomphengchan, Sophomore Gracee Brewer, Senior Phillip Meadows, Sophomore Jordan Walls, and MSTS Teacher Heidi Krusenklaus)