The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

Gen Z: Tech Savvy But Unable To Communicate

Each generation reflects its own personality–Baby Boomers, Generation X, Millennials, and most currently, Gen Z.

Gen Z’ers were born between the years  1997-2013, making them anywhere between 11 and 27 years old now.  While members of Gen Z can be strong, tech-savvy, and progressive, n overwhelming number of workplaces are steering away from hiring members of Gen Z–and here is why:

According to VOA News, “Almost 4 in 10 managers avoid hiring recent college graduates because they judge them to be unprepared for professional life.” Many think the reason for these issues is because Gen Z happens to lack communication skills, making it hard for them to work in team-like environments. EHS junior Janessa Douglas feels that COVID-19 had a huge impact on Gen Z’s social skills. “We have spent a pretty big chunk of our developmental years in lockdown,” Douglas explains.  “The fact that we struggle with getting jobs isn’t too surprising to me.” Douglas also feels that Gen Z shouldn’t be shocked that the older generation feels this away and avoids hiring them for these certain reasons. “A lot of us have been told by our parents or grandparents that our generation isn’t prepared for the real world, so I think that we should get up and prove that we can be prepared by improving our work skills.”

However, senior Felicity Estes believes that Gen Z is already very prepared to be in the workplace. “We can be very creative and strong independent learners,” claims Estes. “And, even though lockdown was a very hard time, I think that it made us mentally stronger.” Estes goes on to explain that Gen Z has continued to prove that they’re resilient and resourceful when it comes to overcoming challenges in the workplace. Estes also makes a point to state that being technologically advanced is also a very important and significant skill to have nowadays when it comes to the workplace. “We tend to be more tech-savvy than the older generations, and I think that gives us a huge advantage to excel.” 

Despite the doubts about Gen-Z’s abilities to work, it’s evident that they will have to eventually hold down full-time jobs.  Whether they are prepared for the work environment now may remain debatable, but all can agree that Gen Z has the potential to do so.