The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

“Senioritis”: Is It Real? 

For many seniors, the symptoms of senioritis are starting to set in…

As senior year progresses, graduation requirements are met, and more and more acceptance letters roll in…many seniors start to question why they are even still at school. 

Oftentimes, the workload for senior year can be much less than past years, but that doesn’t always increase one’s motivation levels. Senior Lilliana Godfrey shares that even though the workload is quite moderate, the “effects of senior year” are still being felt. Godfrey explains how the majority of classes being taken are those that are required for senior year with only a few electives sprinkled in.

Though the workload might not seem all that stressful, Godfrey’s one hope is to just finish out the school year. “After being here for four years, the last year is definitely bittersweet, but you are mostly just ready for it to end.” Going off to college is a drastic change, but one that Godfrey is ready for. “Even though I’m nervous to leave home and all my friends I’ve made throughout high school, I’m even more excited to go off to college and experience all the new opportunities…I just have to make it through this last semester!” 

It’s officially college acceptance season, and as more find out their fate, Godfrey reveals how it soon becomes even more difficult to find one’s drive to push through to the finish line, even knowing that college is just around the corner. Godfrey has applied to three different schools, and is proud to reveal acceptance to all three: Indiana University South Bend, Indiana University Bloomington, and Ball State!

Many seniors alongside Godfrey have also been accepted into college and are anticipating their start in the upcoming fall. Knowing one has already secured his or her spot in college–yet still having a semester of high school to finish out–does feel a little “silly” to Godfrey. “It’s such a weird feeling; it makes you feel like ‘What am I still doing here!? I was already accepted into college!’ It definitely makes you just want to skip class and go home, but it can also give you the needed motivation to keep up your good grades and just finish out strong.” 

“The end of senior year can’t come soon enough!” Godfrey expresses. Once the school year finally does wrap up, Godfrey plans to spend her last summer surrounded by friends and family, “This summer is definitely going to fly by, so I want to make every second count!” After four years of high school–and one long year of experiencing senioritis–Godfrey and the fellow seniors are definitely looking forward to the break.

As Godfrey will soon leave high school behind, she motivates the upcoming senior class to “stand strong against senioritis and to finish their final year out strong!”