The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

FROGS: Slimy By Nature But Incredibly Awesome!

Frogs are a carnivorous species of amphibians that have roamed the earth since the Jurassic period. While the French find them to be a delicious cuisine, many don’t; however, frogs are very intriguing creatures regardless of their slimy nature.

“I actually hate frogs,” states sophomore Stephen Blacklaw. “I think my least favorite animals are geese and frogs.” This is possibly due to the lack of information on just how fascinating these creatures actually are.

For instance, frog eyes are incredibly strange; their gigantic eyes–that almost pop out of their heads–can be seen in front, around, and even behind them. When frogs swallow down their food, their eyes will roll down to the roof of their mouth to help push the food down. Using their eyes to help hunt down and then consume the food, they get a lot of use out of them. And, with a field of view of almost 180 degrees, no flies are safe. When humans and other mammals try hard to see something, they squint their eyes. But, when frogs have to see, they simply move them back and forth.

Then, just talk about their skin! Dead skin is the worst, right? Well, imagine shedding one’s entire skin regularly–every week, like frogs do. Speaking of their skin, imagine also breathing through one’s own skin; frogs don’t have to imagine. Frogs can breathe through the interior of their mouths. In fact, frogs have three respiratory surfaces: the interior of their mouths, their skin, and their lungs. Frogs breathe somewhat similar to humans, through the nostrils and the lungs; however, frogs don’t have ribs or a diaphragm like humans do. So when they have to breathe in, they lower their mouth and expand the throat while breathing all the air in through their noses into their mouth, which blows up like a balloon. After that, they contract their mouths to push that air into their lungs. 

Frogs are very interesting creatures that are found all over the world. So, the next time strolling around the backyard and one of these silly creatures is spotted, think about their interesting biology and way of living out in the wild.

“I still don’t like them!” Blacklaw insisted. Beauty clearly must be in the eyes of the beholder.