The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

BFF’s In High School And Beyond

Do high school friendships last an entire lifetime? 

Friendship—It is one of the most treasured aspects of high school…the people you surround yourself with, who you spend your days with. Connections that are formed since elementary school, or ones that have just recently blossomed within the last four years. 

Senior Bayleigh Tweedy has formed her own friendships through attending the football games here at Elkhart High, while senior Liliana Escobedo Soto has seemingly known some of her friends throughout her whole life! “I’ve met most of my friends in elementary and middle school, and through the sharing of classes. We’ve been able to stay close; I’ve even been fortunate enough to have a friendship that’s lasted since pre-school!” Maintaining friendship can seem to be tricky, especially with differing grade levels, but it’s never been a problem for Escobedo and her underclassmen friends. “Though we may not have classes together, we are always texting. And, having softball practice together definitely keeps us close!” 

The dynamic of high school groups is constantly in rotation, as more students graduate at the end of each year, close friendships soon become long distance—but the connection isn’t lost. Escobedo is soon excited to graduate, but is sad to think about leaving some of her friends who won’t be graduating until the following year. Though leaving home and having to create new friendships can be frightening, Escobedo expresses the importance of meeting new people, as well as the ability to always visit friends back home. “I will definitely be staying in contact–and free time is a great opportunity to make a quick visit home!” Tweedy, on the other hand, will be graduating alongside all her friends but definitely won’t miss the opportunity to “text, and always catch up on the holiday breaks back home.” 

For Tweedy, friendship holds true importance: the ability to “have your girls you can always go to” is something that is irreplaceable. People always need someone they can depend and lean on, and having those required relationships with others is admired. While friendships can come and go, both Escobedo and Tweedy truly believe that if they put the care and effort into maintaining the relationships formed in high school, and even later on in college, that they can last a lifetime.