The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

Summit Conference: Leading The Way Toward Climate Change

Climate change has been one of the most pressing challenges facing the United States in recent times. Many are eager to learn more about the topic. Thankfully, conferences and summits are hosted all over northern Indiana to educate those interested. One of those conferences–Climate Leadership Summit 8–as hosted nearby on Sept. 8.

Geared towards climate activists and city governments, Climate Leadership Summit was put on at Indiana University Northwest, just south of Gary. The Climate Leadership Summit was founded in Goshen by Earth Charter Indiana as a way for state officials, county executives, city employees, and community leaders to prepare for the future with our rapidly changing climate. 

Climate Leadership Summit allowed many of regional leaders to gather in one place and discuss environmental concerns in a controlled, public setting. Nancy Moldenhauer, President and Founder of Save the Dunes, explained that “Michigan City was lagging behind in the way of sustainability and resilience.” This lack of environmentally friendly infrastructure inspired Earth Charter Indiana to start a statewide climate movement and monitoring program. 

Earth Charter Indiana’s climate management program immediately took off. It was picked up by cities and quickly garnered numerous sponsors for their revolutionary vision. City governments, regional climate groups, businesses, and other organizations have contributed heavily to the success of the Climate Leadership Summit.

Although mainly geared towards climate activists and city government, Earth Charter Indiana also held a youth track hosted by Tatiana Rebelle and Miranda Frausto at Indiana University Northwest. Despite not attending the youth track, it was something of particular interest as Earth Charter intends on educating the youth about climate change, just as much as they do the community leaders.

While climate change remains a pertinent issue locally, nationally, and globally, conferences like Climate Leadership Summit 8 exist so that community leaders, no matter how young or old, can be involved in the fight against climate change.