The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

Tuning In To A New Earbud Policy

Listening to music is an integral part of the everyday routine, and has proven to be a successful factor in students’ learning, so why does Elkhart High School expect to hinder its students by limiting the usage of the instrument?

In an effort to enhance safety and promote attentiveness among students, Elkhart High School has implemented a new policy: allowing students to keep only one earbud in while walking to class. This policy aims to strike a balance between students’ desire for personal audio entertainment and the school’s responsibility to maintain a secure and focused environment. 

Although many are not content with the new policy, as “one earbud simply does not complete the full effect,” it’s important to recognize why the action is being implemented. One of the primary benefits of this policy is the improved situational awareness it encourages among students. Safety concerns are a huge issue for schools, and when students are unable to hear instructions or warnings from teachers, setbacks occur. High school student Amanda Flores is able to see both sides of the situation. “A lot of kids can’t hear to begin with,” she starts. “Now, imagine blasting music in both ears while a staff member is trying to give instructions.” With one earbud removed, students are more likely to notice important announcements, safety instructions, or emergency situations, making the hallways a safer space for everyone.

Flores is a senior…and happens to be an avid music listener. “Right when I enter onto my bus, I already have [earbuds] on. There’s not a time I’m not listening to music unless I get to class, forget them, or my AirPods aren’t charged,” she explains. To say she was completely on board with the new rule would be a false narrative, as Flores considers music to be an essential component in her life. For her—and an abundance of other students—it is more than listening to audio. “Music has definitely helped build my confidence,” she discloses. “It soothes me, makes me feel calm and relaxed.” Music is able to transcend its purposes, and the effect melodies can have, appear differently for everyone. For Flores, her confidence directly correlates to her comfort. Through her perspective, she illustrates this significance: “For me, it’s comforting because of the way it calms my whole body physically and mentally. It makes me feel another type of way that just can’t be explained—reminiscing with the lyrics, or being able to find relatability in any situation you’re in.” 

Many officials argue that by keeping one ear free, students are more open to spontaneous social interactions. The policy encourages students to engage in face-to-face conversations with their peers. However, for some students, a lively playlist makes for a more effective walk between periods: “I get to class quicker because I tend to time myself with how many songs are played during my walk to class.” Flores attends the Elkhart Area Career Center, so it’s crucial she is able to get to the building accordingly. The routine set in place by her playlist is efficient in that testament, as not only does it encourage faster movement, but it cancels out the crowd. “[I] tend to avoid more people—I just want to mind my business most of the time and not hear students’ drama.”  

Music is a crucial part of Flores’ life—but she is also able to admit when it’s necessary to be cautious. “Whether kids don’t like it or not, staff enforce these rules for our safety. It won’t hurt to take off an earbud to hear your surroundings; you can never be too safe if both your ears are occupied.” In a world filled with distractions, high school is a crucial place for students to develop strong focus and study habits. Limiting audio input to one earbud helps reduce distractions and allows students to concentrate more effectively on their studies and responsibilities.

The implementation of the “one earbud in” policy at this high school has its share of pros and cons. While it enhances safety and reduces distractions, it may also pose challenges for some students. Ultimately, the success of such a policy depends on effective communication, reasonable enforcement, and a careful consideration of the diverse needs and preferences of the student body. Balancing safety with individual rights remains an ongoing challenge for schools as they strive to create environments that foster both learning and personal comfort.

View Comments (5)