Met Gala: Back From A Year Off…And Disappointing Many

Adyan Al-Shamri, Staff Writer

Is it more than just a flashy outfit?

From Billie Eilishe wearing an Oscar de la Renta gown inspired by the 50’s film actress Grace Kelly to Jennifer Lopez wearing a Western-inspired Ralph Lauren dress, this year’s Met Gala–held on Sept. 13–was definitely unforgettable.

There was definitely a wide interpretation the theme–“In America: A Lexicon in Fashion”–with some seeming to ignore the theme altogether. Having to postpone the 2020 gala due to COVID-19, the pressure was on to meet everyone’s expectations this “makeup” gala. Unfortunately, one big issue with these expectations is many found themselves disappointed with the outcome–do it right, or don’t do it at all.

Last year’s postponement was a disappointment to many, especially those in the fashion field who look forward to the event every year. This glamorous event seemed to be a staple in the fashion industry since its start in 1948. Every year since then, designers and the celebrities exhibiting the outfits have been nonstop, showcasing to their best ability the themes presented. Anticipation was high for the unfurling of this year’s theme, but the event seemed to be lacking in that area. “I thought this year’s Met Gala was a let down, and it felt like a half-done assignment!” confides EHS sophomore, Jennifer Melendez. “What disappointed me most was that most people didn’t even follow the theme of the Met!” 

What seemed to surprise others was the guest list. Typically, the Met Gala is comprised of an A-list of celebrities and high-end fashion designers. But, this year, the guest list went a different route. Influencers from YouTube–and even TikTok–found themselves walking the red carpet this September, causing a split on the internet of what makes someone qualified to attend. “There shouldn’t be restrictions on who attends,” suggests Nilah Payton, a sophomore. “They have a rule that’s it’s 18 and older, so I feel like people should be safe.” But, she adds, it’s not the number of years in one’s age but rather the number of bills in one’s wallet that dictate who’s in and who’s out. “People who attend or go are usually rich anyway–so it doesn’t matter!”

While some think money alone is just enough to attend such an event, others have a different idea of what the guest list should look like. “I think they should put more restrictions on the list,” offers Melendez. “The Met is where to find inspiration on the carpet–not just to see a person walk around. It is a way for those watching to have fun,” pointing out that it should be more about the audience than the celebrities themselves. Thus, she would like to see a return to its more fashionable and artistic roots.

This month’s Gala was definitely a memorable one, but not for the reasons that it had hoped. However, fans need only wait a few months for version 2.0. Part II of the Met Gala will be on May 2, 2022. It will be a continuation of September’s theme and be titled “In America: An Anthology of Fashion,” with American film directors creating scenes within the Met that portray the history of fashion in America.

Maybe America is the land of second chances after all. Let’s hope the Met Gala doesn’t blow it–again!