The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

Girl Trends: A Marketing Tactic Targeting Vulnerable Women

Don’t be aggressive. Don’t be too independent.  Be fragile. Be sensitive.

Society is constantly forming a mold for the perfect identity of a woman. It becomes agonizing trying to follow all the rules of society and figuring out a self-identity at the same time.

The word “girl’ has become TikTok’s favorite suffix. Terms like “granola girl,” “clean girl,” “star girl,” “coquette girl,” and “tomato girl” are only some of the new trends that have surfaced. However, these “girl” terms are not targeted towards girls but rather towards women. There seems to be a category for all types of women, but why must women always be labeled?

The reality is that the word “girl” is far more marketable in this day and age. Girls are young and beautiful, while women want to be younger to fit the beauty standard. It is hard to be a woman–and it is far more comforting to identify as a girl. It would be discriminatory to restrict human beings to a single identity. Humans are made up of thousands of interests that make their personalities unique. It would be impossible to come up with a singular word to describe each person’s entity. The truth is that companies don’t care about individuals as much as they care about making profit.

Each coined girl identity requires countless products to fit the mold. It is unacceptable to attempt to be one without them. For example, a “granola girl” wouldn’t be seen without her Pura Vida bracelets, Patagonia clothing, and Hydroflask in hand. “Coquette girls” can be seen wearing their Dior blush, Mary Jane’s, and most importantly, bows in their hair. The dictionary definition of coquette is a flirt, but trends have changed the entire meaning. Instead of being an internal description, the word focuses solely on the physical appearance of a woman.

Elkhart High School senior Yadira Diaz says, “There have been many times when I see TikToks of new products that fit aesthetics that I like, and I end up buying the product even though I don’t need it.” People cannot limit themselves to follow a specific aesthetic forever. Life is about exploring and discovering interests. A woman may want to be a “granola girl” one day and a “coquette girl” the next; this is quite normal.

These aesthetics are marketing tactics to promote endless consumption to vulnerable women looking for a sense of identity. 

View Comments (3)