The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

“Next In Fashion” should be the next show you watch!

This show brings to light what fashion could look like in the near future.

Photo by Bruno /Germany from Pixabay

Netflix Original, “Next In Fashion” was released Jan. 29 and is the perfect show for people who love fashion/design.

Jahlea Douglas, Editor-in-chief

Everyone has that go to show they watch as soon as they get home or during their free time. But the worst feeling is finishing a series because that means scrolling through Netflix for countless hours to find the next great show. For me, the next greatest show was the new Netflix Original, “Next In Fashion.”

From the title, one can probably guess what the show is about, but if not, here’s the rundown. 

This show consists of nine different teams of two competing for $250,000 and the opportunity to launch a clothing line with Net-a-Porter, the world’s premier luxury fashion destination. But the key to creating is that the outfit(s) has to be next in fashion and not found on the streets already and has to be tailored to each round.

Each round is judged by the two hosts, designers Tan France and Alexa Chung, and a few guest judges who usually are experts in the field of the assigned task. Additionally, each round is completely different from the rest causing the fabric closet to be stocked with new fabrics to fit each round. 

The designers have two days to complete their red carpet runway look which seems like a lot of time, but it is not because of the limited time on the second day. The second day of designing is basically dedicated to making sure the that the outfit fits, that small alterations have been made, and that the hair and makeup corresponds to the outfit.

“Next In Fashion” takes each designer out of their comfort zone in some capacity, most of the designers overcome their fears of designing certain fashion pieces while others let their fears get the best of them and are sent home. 

But towards the end of season, there is a slight twist and it makes the show so much better. The teams of two are split up because the judges truly want to see how talented each designer is as an individual.

And after all, who would want to split $250,000 with someone? Definitely not me! 

The finale was the best episode of all because there are no specific design. Each designer is instructed to make whatever they wanted to. But the hard part is that they have to make a full ten-piece collection in only three days– with the tenth piece being a show-stopper. The only help the designers have is three sewers each, but they can consult with them on anything about design. 

Seeing the progression of the two finalists is truly amazing and made me excited about the fashion that could be potentially out on the streets soon. Many of the outfits that were created I could see myself wearing to a variety of occasions. I give this show a nine out of ten Greenfield’s and recommend it to anyone who likes competitive shows and fashion design.

The views in this column do not necessarily reflect the views of the GENESIS staff. Reach Jahlea Douglas at [email protected].