A SMART Way To Make This New Year’s Resolution Count!

Ayelen Pichardo Hernandez, Staff Writer

Make this New Year’s resolution count.

For many years, people have been setting New Year’s resolutions for themselves in anticipation of new year filled with lots of excitement. The goal of these resolutions is for people to improve themselves. It could be continuing to do beneficial activities, like going to the gym or playing sports. Others may try to stop habits that can be harmful, like smoking or eating too much junk food. The intentions are there, but actually going through with the process may be very difficult.

This is why it is important that a New Year’s resolution follows the SMART goal format. SMART is an acronym for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Timely. These small steps could completely change the outcome of a New Year’s resolution.

It is critical to be specific when setting goals. If a goal is too broad, it may be more difficult to know how to approach it. For example, instead of saying, “I want to get stronger,” a specific goal would be this: “I want to gain 10% of muscle mass.” Being specific makes it easier for a goal to be measurable. Tracking progress helps to be able to see the advancement. This is a great motivator to keep going. Setting an attainable goal is also important. Goals should test limits, but not be completely impossible. For example, saying, “I want to lift 500 pounds” is not a realistic goal for someone with no previous experience lifting weights, but it may be for a bodybuilder. Staying realistic goes hand-in-hand with making goals attainable. Making a goal relevant is the more personal part of the process. Each individual has his or her own unique set of aspirations. Incorporating those aspirations into a New Year’s resolution makes for a distinctive goal. Lastly, a New Year’s resolution must be timely. Without a set date to reach a goal, it is practically impossible to note whether or not it was successful. 

New Year’s resolutions can be very beneficial if approached properly. Elkhart High School junior Leo Islas knows this first-hand. “When I saw the results of my New Year’s resolution, I started to feel a lot better physically and mentally.” Keeping in mind the SMART acronym permits greater possibility of actually going through with a New Year’s resolution.