The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

Parks & Rec: Spring Activities Planned

As winter fades out and spring jumps in, this season change is often associated with a lack of interesting and enjoyable activities to participate in. However, that’s definitely not the case in Elkhart.

The Elkhart Parks and Recreation Department puts on some fun events for a variety of ages during the spring and summer seasons. Basketball Camp for ages 5-12 will happen every Saturday in March. This serves as a fun opportunity for kids to stay active in the off-season, and improve their basketball skills. The Parks Department allows kids to join for free, but requires kids to bring their own tennis shoes and water.

Also happening in Elkhart is a “Minute to Win It” event. Teams compete against each other in a plethora of mind-challenging activities to see who can complete the task the best in under one minute. These events are happening on March 26, April 26, and  April 29.

Photographers will have a few unique opportunities to gather together and participate in a photography group. These meetings will allow both skilled camera operators and people who are just beginning to take pictures to gather together and improve their photography skills. Anyone above the age of 14 who has a camera can partake in these meetings on March 7, April 4, and May 2.

Community members interested in gardening and flowers can go on a bus trip with the Elkhart Parks Department to the Windmill Island Gardens in Holland Michigan. This event will take place on May 11, starting at IUSB. Community members below 18 are required to bring an adult.

Though these events may seem like they are more geared towards adults, there’s more than meets the eye. EHS Sophomore Collin Khomphengchan stated, “I would absolutely be interested in some of these events – I don’t mind participating in these [city hosted] events.”

While there may not an unlimited variety of events during the spring, there are still plenty of interesting programs that cater to different varieties of people throughout the region. All of the described events can be found here.