The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

Regality: Empowering A New Generation Of Young Women

Regality–the girls empowerment group–has been supporting young girls since its founding in 2020. But, it will continue to have effects on young girls indefinitely.

Founded by DaVonne Kramer, Regality is a women-supporting-women group that has had positive networking effects on young girls since its creation.  “I wanted to give young girls an opportunity to connect with their peers and feel involved with the community,” states its founder. “Growing up, my mentors supported me during tough periods of my life, and I wanted to pay that forward for young ladies, our future leaders of the world.”

One way in which that occurs is through enriching experiences designed to expand their cultural and historical horizons. On Feb.17, for instance, Regality was invited to Notre Dame to witness a ballet, detailing the life of Hazel Scott. A Trinidadian, Scott was a jazz and classical pianist and musician. She was very outspoken against racism during the Jim Crow era of United States history and was an inspiration to young women during her time in the spotlight. 

“The stage, lights, performance, and everything about the ballet was just perfect,” one stated. “The storytelling was amazing, and at some parts, I felt as though I was up on stage with the dancers living through the story.” 

Regality has had a powerful impact on all of its members, including Dania Razaq. “Regality has had a huge effect on my life,” Razaq states. “To me, to be regal means to be royal. Regality means that all girls are royal, important, and valid–and no girl deserves to feel left out!” Continuing, she adds, “As a member of Regality, it’s important to me to always lift up other girls.” The beautiful visuals, touching story, and graceful dancing witnessed at Notre Dame accomplished that both literally and metaphorically. 

The mark that Regality has left on so many younger girls in the few short years since its founding is monumental, and the realization of what future heights it can achieve is amazing.  Kramer has created a legacy of supporting women that will last years, proving the true power of one individual…one woman.