Schools Of Study: A World Apart

Schools Of Study: A World Apart

Ava Decker, Staff Writer

Are teachers experiencing separation anxiety?

Ever wonder how the teachers feel about the new Schools of Study? Do they enjoy being in the Career Center or ETI building, away from the rest of the teachers in the main building? Or, do they miss old friends as well as having more than 15 co-workers work with daily?

“I thought it would bother me at first, but I actually really like it!” admits Mr. Brandon Miller, a history teacher in the Career Center. Others in his building agree. Miller takes into account how many more students are now going to Elkhart High School. Collecting his thoughts, he adds, “I like being away from the busyness of the main campus.” However, there are aspects that he does miss.  “All my friends were in the Social Studies Department, and I don’t get to see any of them.” For years, these teachers have been grouped by departments. With the merger, that system has changed–and so much teacher attitudes about it.

It definitely makes sense for some in the outer buildings to feel this sense of separation or isolation, but apparently, this feeling has even found its way into a few who are working inside the main building, as well. Mrs. Maribel Maxson, the Business and International Relations secretary, says, “There are a lot of new things this year–and the learning curve is huge!” Normally, she would know right away who to go to with her questions, but now she is a floor away or a building away from many of those who used to only be a desk away from her. Despite this, Maxson does enjoy “having a smaller group of kids that [she] can get to know better.” As with most of the staff, Maxson maintains a positive attitude about it all. “The day-to-day support is just…different.”

“Different,” however, does not have to mean “bad.” Separation between the Schools of Study is not something the teachers–nor the students–are used to, but everyone is learning to accept this change.