Musician of the Week: Cameron Swank

Q & A with musician and junior Cameron Swank

Junior Cameron Swank is the GENESIS musician of the week.

Lyn Jarrell

Lyn Jarrell, Staff Writer

Junior Cameron Swank plays the trumpet, the tuba, and a “little bit” of guitar. Swank joined band when he was in the sixth grade, and at one point, dropped out, only to realize that it was actually one of his greatest passions.

Check out the Q&A below to learn a little more about Cameron:

GENESIS: Why did you decide to join band?

CAMERON SWANK: “I joined because it seemed cool. Definitely a lot cooler than orchestra. There’s just something that band has to offer for me that orchestra doesn’t. I think it also has to do with the fact that band is more upbeat and positive, while orchestra tends to be slower and structured.”

G: Is there any other instruments you want to learn?

CS: “I would like to learn almost any instrument there is to learn. If anything, I’d like to start off by learning an instrument that I really want to learn, such as the flute, or honestly, the banjo.”

G: Can you give me an overview of what it is like to be in band?

CS: “Basically, band is an almost everyday commitment. You have hours of practices, football games, basketball games, uniforms, concerts, etc. It’s time consuming, but to me, it’s well worth the extra effort.”

G: What do you plan on doing with band after high school?

CS: “Well, I can’t say for sure. I still have a year to go. But, so far, I plan on continuing to play my instruments and hopefully, find some sort of band to be in. However, if I don’t have a band to play in, I might not play my instrument as much as I’d like.”

G: Is there any advice that you’d give to new-comer band kids?

CS: “Well, I’d probably tell them that it is a commitment to both the other band kids, but as well as the teachers. If possible, try to stick it out and don’t let a little set-back ruin it for you.”

G: What would you say to your band teachers, if you could say anything at all?

CS: “I’d tell them thank you. Just thank you in general. A big thanks for not giving up on me or others, and for working with us to help us get better.”