Why YOU should go to tutoring

Struggling in a class? Free tutoring is available for all students at Memorial.

Photo courtesy of Sherri Greenfield

Junior Dominique Kunz and English teacher, Eileen Corson work together in the library after school on Thursday, Sept. 12. Elkhart Memorial offers a unique tutoring program where teachers are available after school in the library on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays until 4:00 p.m.

Richard Bautista, Staff Writer

Staffed by seven to eight licensed teachers, tutoring is open from 3-4 p.m. on Tues., Wed., and Thurs. in the Elkhart Memorial Media Center. Along with a quiet, friendly and laid back place to work, help is available for all core classes: Math, English, Science and Social Studies. 

Stefanie Foster, who is the coordinator for the program, especially encourages freshmen to attend saying that keeping one’s grades up during freshman year is important because it really sets the tone for the rest of a student’s high school career. 

The program at Elkhart Memorial is different from other programs because licensed teachers are the ones who are doing the tutoring, rather than other students. For many students, the program offers an extended period of time to get one-on-one help if they are having trouble in a particular subject. 

Photo courtesy of Sherri Greenfield
Senior Elena Mark and AP Literature and Composition teacher, Corin Sailor work together in the library after school on Thursday, Sept. 12. Elkhart Memorial offers a unique tutoring program where teachers are available after school in the library on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays until 4:00 p.m.

“I have a lot of kids that have questions about their work and there is just not enough time in the classroom sometimes to hit everything that you want to hit,” said English teacher, Corin Sailor. “So, I feel really good about being here and giving these guys an opportunity to learn and an extra opportunity to succeed.” 

One of the other services the after school tutoring offers is an available guidance counselor. The program is staffed by Allison Makowski and Larry Fielstra who meet with students who need help with college applications, scholarships and scheduling questions. Guidance essentially offers the same services that they do during school hours, but they have more time to work with individual students.

“I like that there are helpful teachers and a lot of classmates come and we actually get things done here when we don’t get it done in class,” senior Andy Puga said.

Another incentive for students that the program offers is food. There is always a snack provided that they can grab when they walk in the door. However, in the near future, there will also be gift cards given out as rewards for attendance. Additionally, at the end of each semester, the staff throws a pizza party.

Photo courtesy of Sherri Greenfield
Biology teacher Cara McMenamin and freshman Henry Spivey work together in the library after school on Thursday, Sept. 12. Elkhart Memorial offers a unique tutoring program where teachers are available after school in the library on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays until 4:00 p.m.

Finally, tutoring offers students with the opportunity to build a deeper relationship with their teachers. 

Language Arts teacher Eileen Corson pointed out that tutoring is a way for students to see teachers in a more relatable manner.

“Well, it’s also for you guys to see us in a different light too, sometimes, maybe. I think that’s what makes this special,” she said.

Sailor added, “I think it’s a chance to see teachers as people. Which is something that you don’t [always] see in the classroom.”

Tutoring offers quite a lot of services such as a quiet workplace, guidance, and help from the teachers who are here every day.