The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The “Big” Game: Was It A “Big” Failure?

The “Big” game: Was it a “Big” Failure?

The Honduran National soccer team drew 1-1 against El Salvador on March 27, making it more than clear that there are too many Honduran players who do not have to be called up for these types of games.

In just 11-minutes, many were shocked when El Salvador was in attack mode, and the Honduran right back defender, Carlos Argueta, never followed his player.  El Salvador scored a 1-0 goal. The commenters even stated the fellow defender was just watching as they scored.

Coming up in the second half, the Honduran Nationals woke up, and one of the top players, who always turns the games around but is always being criticized for how he plays, scored a matching goal. Bryan Róchez brought the score to an even 1-1, turning the game around in the 62nd minute and holding that score for the remainder of the game. Salvadoran standout Reinaldo Rueda took out about 5 of the starting lineup players who have to stay in the National League but who do not have to represent the H!! 

The first half of the Honduran National Team was a complete disaster! El Salvador ruled over them, according to commentators. In the second half, however, things took 180-degree turn to even the game.  Many Salvadorans and Hondurans are left wondering if this game was a failure in proving which team was stronger! Hopefully, the question will be answered by the next  faceoff. Until then, patience will be key.