The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

Super Bowl Sunday: A Clash Of The Titans

It’s that time of the year—the advertisements, the game, and the half-time performance. That’s right, the Super Bowl is the “Big Game,” the game that determines which team is the champion of the NFL. The event draws the Taylor Swift fans, the people who just watch the ads, and, yes, even the people who just want to watch the game. So, instead of focusing on She Who Shall Not Be Named, let’s rather focus what to expect from the game itself.

The game, of course, will be the San Francisco 49ers vs. the Kansas City Chiefs at the moment in the NFL. This season, the Chiefs and Patrick Mahomes have recently triumphed, going to Baltimore and beating the Ravens. However, things aren’t looking as good for the 49ers, who were down 17 to the Detroit Lions at halftime before making an amazing comeback in the second half, carried by quarterback Brock Purdy. So, this Super Bowl is truly a clash of the Titans; both teams have persevered, but will the 49ers, underdogs in this situation, be able to stand up to the might of the Chiefs?

Standout players to look at from both teams would be obviously the amazing star quarterback, Patrick Mahomes, from the Chiefs, and tight end Travis Kelce. On the 49ers end of the stick, fans have quarterback Brock Purdy, who has been definitely putting in the work to help get the team to where they are, as well as running back Christian McCaffrey, a running back who has been tying and setting new records this season.

It is also worth discussing the history of both of these teams: the Chiefs won this exact matchup against the 49ers four years ago. If the 49ers are to win this game, it would mean adding a sixth Lombardi Trophy to the case. Patrick Mahomes, who is easily one of the best standout players in the league, could be getting his fourth trophy in five years if they win this.

The 49ers undoubtedly seem like the underdogs in this situation, especially with all the fuss over the Chiefs that has been going around lately. Very few are rooting for the 49ers–especially after barely getting by against the Detroit Lions. EHS sophomore and football enthusiast Colin Albright intends to watch the game, despite his team not being in it. “I believe in the Lions; they’ll show up to the Super Bowl and just play!” On a more serious note, he adds, “It’s the 49ers all the way; they’ve got this!”

So, get all affairs in order and be ready…because this Sunday’s football game is about to become intense. A clash of Titans? The underdog triumphs…or maybe get crushed under the Chief’s heel. No matter which side a fan is on, this is guaranteed to be an entertaining game.