The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

Next Week: The FINAL Frontier!

Prep now, or forever hold your grief!

Finals are around the corner–literally next week! And, students should now be studying in preparation. The overwhelming majority of the students spoken to at EHS are apprehensive about their final grade in a class. Likewise, teachers are equally stressed about how to prepare their students for what amounts to 15 percent of their grade. However, there are a few ways to stay calm heading into the “final” storm–allowing students to at least prepare themselves in advance.  So, how can teachers help students be prepared for their exams?

Students should:

• Making sure to get materials organized.

Final exams can be overwhelming for a lot of students–especially students with IEP accommodations. By stating this, teachers, make sure students are organized with the materials they need and have something to prepare them for the final exam.

• Study and Review!

Students may hear this a ton from their own teachers. But, this is very important for students to do. In order to know the basics of the final work, students need to have some information to complete their finals. By doing so, studying and reviewing course work–and maybe perhaps having one’s very own teacher help guide through some areas–is very important in order to understand the material that is being given and assessed!

• Relax..remain calm..and find ways to fix a problem! 

If a student ever feels stuck  on a question, be sure to try one’s best by putting down logical thoughts and leaving it like that. Yes, that may mean getting wrong, but a student may also receive partial credit for trying his or her best. Some teachers do this, but not all. But, it is still good to have something down rather than an empty space! Most teachers prefer seeing students trying than giving up. So, teachers, keep this in mind when grading.

• Good luck!!! Make sure to eat breakfast, have enough sleep, and be sure to stay hydrated!

Having an empty stomach early in the morning and attempting finals at the same time is not a good mixture, causing a student to feel overwhelmed and not want to do anything other than eat, sleep, and rest. This goes for not having enough sleep, as well. So, that being said, be sure to get enough rest, eat something small (or even chew gum, as it helps take away hunger and helps you focus better), and drink water! Teachers, try to offer a small snack to keep students powered up.

Students who have accommodations take finals differently than most students do, as they take them earlier than students who do not have accommodations. They have more extra time, help, and the resources they need to complete their finals. However, this does not mean that they have an easier way of completing finals. They study like the rest of the students do. Thus, there are no excuses for anyone to not prepare and try to do his or her best.

IEP Students should: 

• Relax and be patient.

Students with special education learning should stay calm and remain to themselves. They should complete the test at their own pace and ask questions when needing help. There will be teachers in the room to help. These teachers are very willing to accommodate a student when the need arises.

• Stay occupied on the test:

When feeling super stressed and wanting to give up, do not! Say, “I’ve got this!” Breathe in and out, ask for help, and raise a hand to have the teacher help. If  needing any reassurance to help cope, be sure to ask a teacher and let the teacher find ways to assist.

• Study and be sure to have enough sleep and create a positive mindset. 

Before taking the finals, be sure to study first! Use resources to guide in studying, and ask questions if not understanding a concept! If feeling any underwhelming emotions, make sure to drink some water, relax, and skip to the next question. Answer what one can first and then go back to fill in what is left.  In the end, let the teacher help with that specific question if he or she can. Teachers, remember that sometimes it could be just one small word in a question that prevents a student from answering correctly. Help when possible.

Good luck to all students who are taking finals! Keep saying, “I can do this!”

For teachers:

Students may need help from time to time. But, if they do, be sure to guide them. Be sure to provide organized materials for the final reviews, and be sure to bring something to make students feel calm,–such as mini-small candies to help them remain focused, as food tends to have that special ability to do so. Mints are the primary source of focused students! Good luck to the regular classroom teachers and for special education ones, as well. Together, students and teachers can help into break feeling as though they had done their very best.