The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

EHS Speech Club Leaves Other Teams Speechless!

Whether giving a speech about life, or debating over what food is the tastiest, there is no escaping speaking and debating. It is all around, and Elkhart High School just so happens to have an extremely promising Speech and Debate Club that addresses these very topics–and much deeper ones, as well–on a highly competitive level.

Mrs. Janis Elli, English teacher and Speech and Debate Club Director at Elkhart High School, has been involved with the club for 10 years–serving as the head coach for Central High School before the schools merged. This year, however,  Mrs. Elli is not alone in coaching the students. Joining her are Mrs. Tamara Gonzalez, Mrs. Leslie Smith, and Mrs. Kate Coates–who all expressed their excitement at being asked to be a part of the club this year. “They are all hard-working, positive, and enthusiastic about this team!” claims Elli. Not only were more teachers on board for the Speech and Debate Club this year but more students, as well. “I have the largest team that I have had in years,” states Elli. “Students are invested in the team and passionate about their topics; this has made the season so enjoyable.”

The Speech and Debate Club has a variety of categories in which the students can participate in: performing parts of novels, reciting poems, performing original pieces, or even acting as a radio announcer! Students can do any one of these activities–or even multiple events–while competing in tournaments with other schools in Northern and Central Indiana. At last Saturday’s event, the EHS team stunned some of the other “powerhouse” teams–Plymouth, Concord, and Culver, to name a few–depriving them of multiple 1st Place awards. In fact, six of the seven EHS competitors made it to the Finals, with this being the very first competition any had ever competed in.

Junior Karma Hill is one of the many students that Speech and Debate has impacted. “This club has opened me up and helped me improve my writing skills,” explains Hill. Hill decided to join EHS’ Speech and Debate Club after hearing Mrs. Elli talking it, which just so happened to pique her interest in joining. As with Hill, America Juarez, a sophomore, has always been interested in joining Speech and Debate. Juarez goes on to explain: “I felt like trying something new, and since I naturally felt drawn to something like speech, I decided to try it.” During the first Speech and Debate competition of this year, Juarez performed a poetry piece interpreted in her own way, from the poetry book “The Sun and Her Flowers” by Rupi Kaur. Juarez won 3rd Place when the judges recognized places 1-7. The following week, Juarez moved on up to 1st Place.

Those who enjoy performing, reading, or the arts, are encouraged to speak up by joining Elkhart High School’s Speech and Debate Club!