The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The Roaring Blues Receives Roaring Ovation

The curtain opens, and instantly, Elkhart High School’s auditorium is filled with the sound of music. Intricate, glamorous stage designs, marvelous instruments, and each vocal performance more breathtaking than the last— the expectations were through the roof as the audience awaited Elkhart High’s next vocal group to perform on Oct. 5.  With each ending on a high note, it was hard to imagine what could top the previous.

And, then…after what felt like an eternity of paradoxical screaming silence, the only sight to be seen on the stage was an impressive group of eight students–The Roaring Blues--made up of almost exclusively males.  There was no glamorous and intricate set design to behold– only the plain, muted yellow stage curtain and a lone musician’s stand. There was no sound of a grand piano or an erupting bass–just the singers who took the stage acapella

And, yet, the smallest group of performers received the largest standing ovation of the night. The crowd seemed to be in utter amazement at their rendition of Billy Joel’s The Longest Time.

The group’s founder, Jaiden Bestman, explains how this group came into existence: “I had been interested in making a group like this for years. During my freshman year, I asked my choir teacher about creating a small group, but she said we weren’t experienced enough…yet. So,” he continues, “then last year, I asked Mr. Brown about creating the group, but he said we didn’t have enough boys for it.”

He continues on by saying, “He asked me to gather eight people interested in the choir group–so I did that! We started meeting once a week outside of class ever since this summer.”

The aforementioned eight people were not people Bestman easily recruited— in fact, it took heavy convincing on his part. Jose Moran-Linn, a member of The Roaring Blues, recalls his first meeting with Bestman. “Jaiden came to me and a bunch of the guys. I was kind of thrown under the bus with it,” he laughs, “and he really pushed me into being a part of it!” Pausing, Moran-Linn, continued on a serious note: “But I knew he was really passionate about being in it, and I liked what he stood for, so I decided to join.”  

Bestman’s determination and passion has paid off in ways that exceeded even his own expectations. Mr. Brown held to his word and even showcased this group during the concert–a decision Brown has no regrets over. “In terms of our plans for the future of The Roaring Blues, many members of my boys’ tenor bass group have actually come up to me and asked if they can join the group! And,” he continues, “I believe that we will have more members in future concerts.” Energized by this excitement, Brown adds, “And, if the demand is high enough, we may make it into an official class!” 

The Roaring Blue’s future is undoubtedly bright. Those who would like to support them in their future endeavors can check out their TikTok page @Theroarinblues. 

View Comments (2)