The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

Homecoming Kicks Off With Kick-Back Theme

Semi-formal is replaced with a come-as-you-are Neon Dance.

Like attending school formals? Most high schoolers do. They look forward to the opportunity to get dressed up during the school year. It’s a right of passage into high school. And, Homecoming is usually the first occasion where students get to take part in that–but not this year.

When planning Homecoming, Student Council chose to ditch the glam in favor of a kick-back, come-as-you-are dance attire that begins immediately following the game on Friday, Sept. 22. Yes, that means sweaty fans in sweaty spirit-wear with face paint and ketchup stains all over them!

“I like that it helps kids who are worried about dressing up fancy to just go to something casual,” shares senior Juvens Coleman. For this football player, it’s clearly not about the clothes. “I enjoy the music and the fun.” That’s a good thing–considering that the theme this year coincides with the game theme of Neon and promises to be electrifying.

Sophomore football player Rey Deloya, however, is not overjoyed with quick turnaround from the game to the dance–both of which will be on the Freshman Division campus. “Personally I don’t like it,” he states. “I feel like, as a football player, we won’t have enough time to freshen up or get ready to be there on time.” Although he disagrees with the timing, Deloya is still intends to go to the dance. “Yes I am!” he exclaims. “I missed out my freshman year and want to go at least once in my high school years.”

While most of the events occur on Sept. 22, Homecoming Week activities actually begin several days ahead of that. So as not to miss out, here is the schedule:

• Wednesday, Sept. 20, @ 7 p.m.: Class Olympics with class shirts (12-tie dye, 11-purple, 10-blue, 9-yellow)
  • Friday, Sept. 22 @ 6 p.m.: Roaring Through the Decades Parade from sports complex to Rice Field
  • Friday, Sept. 22 @ 7 p.m.: Neon Themed Homecoming Football against SB St. Joe (Homecoming Court announced at halftime)
  • Friday, Sept. 22 @ 9 p.m.: Neon Themed Homecoming Dance in Freshman Division gym (dance concludes at midnight)
View Comments (2)