The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

Maui Continues To Suffer In The Aftermath

Wildfires are surging around the globe, and Maui continues to suffer in the aftermath. 

Indiana Task Force 1 has deployed 70 members to help search efforts following deadly Hawaiian wildfires, but more help is still needed. Ironically, an increase in tourism may actually assist. 

Hawaii being a tourist favorite prompts many questions and concerns about the current industry. Should tourists keep their distance as Maui is healing, or do the islands still require vacationers as a source of income? As ideas and opinions are being created, so are solutions for this worry. “My opinion is that people should continue to visit the parts of Hawaii that are left undamaged,” states Mr. Eric Jantzen, science teacher and Society for a Better Earth advocate. “The state relies so heavily on tourism that having no tourists would hurt the unaffected areas. If we visit, it can add to the economy, and some of that money can be funneled to places like Lahaina,” Jantzen reveals. 

On top of select tourism still being an option to help support Hawaii, charities have been put in place to support wildfire relief efforts. The Federal Emergency Management Agency has currently funded Maui with at least $8.5 million and is providing survivors with multiple ways to gain more financial assistance. Even with the ongoing support, Maui continues to suffer and the Islands are still in trouble. 

The Maui wildfires have now been labeled the deadliest wildfire incident in the U.S in over a century, with over 2,170 acres burned and at least 115 victims. In result, these fires have been the most prominent in the media, despite the many other fires burning around the world. Lives and property loss have been devastating due to these specific fires. “For example, only six people have been killed and about 40 buildings destroyed by the Canadian fires,” notes Jantzen, “and that’s over the course of several months. In the city of Lahaina,” he adds, “over 100 have died–and virtually the entire city was destroyed in the matter of just a few hours.”

With the feeling that the whole world is on fire, many are asking What can be done? How can we help limit these wildfires? And,most importantly, How can we keep everyone safe?

Clearly, wildfires are an issue that can no longer be ignored in any region of the world–as evidenced by the amount of coverage the media is forced to give the topic. “We’re seeing more wildfires, and therefore more coverage,” Jantzen notes. But, why are these fires becoming more and more common?  “People have built the land up into farmland and developments without regard to fire management,” he explains. “Climate change is also making areas hotter and drier, and much more likely to burn.” Continuing on, Jantzen adds, “We’re also getting more and larger storms, like Hurricane Dora, whose winds were largely to blame for the speed at which the Maui fire overtook the city of Lahaina.”

Not only is the climate crisis contributing to the wildfires, but so is the disregard to safety precautions that have already been put into action. However, all of that is about to change.

Recently announced via USA TODAY, a massive emergency alert test will sound alarms on U.S. cell phones, T.V.s and radios in October. “This is a nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System,” the article states. “The Federal emergency management coordinators need to make sure the national alert system is still an effective way to warn Americans about emergencies, natural catastrophes, attacks and accidents at the national level.”

This decision was made as a partial result of the Maui wildfires, as it was such a high level of emergency. And, with this system, all citizens will be alerted more efficiently. On top of this preparation, as a community, people can reduce the chance of wildfires ever happening. “The government and citizens can heed the decades-long warnings from foresters and climatologists,” Jantzen recommends. “We can speed up the switch to renewable energy, improve efficiency, and change the way we use energy.”

If the world can come together as a community, climate change can be improved and wildfires can be minimized. Until then, it is incumbent upon all denizens of this planet to assist their neighbors in recovering from the devastation. 

Ways to Support 

View Comments (4)