Showing the power of inclusion

The Unified team plays an intrasquad game at the Memorial versus Central double header and raises money for Special Olympics

In+effort+to+raise+money+for+Special+Olympics%2C+the+Unified+team+played+an+intra-squad+basketball+game+on+Friday%2C+Jan.+31.+With+the+help+of++the+Goshen+AD%2C+students%2C+and+fans%2C+a+total+of+%24300+was+raised.+

Photo courtesy of Jacquie Rost

In effort to raise money for Special Olympics, the Unified team played an intra-squad basketball game on Friday, Jan. 31. With the help of the Goshen AD, students, and fans, a total of $300 was raised.

Jahlea Douglas, Editor-in-chief

On Friday, Jan. 31, a double header with Goshen basketball teams was held at North Side gym. 

The girls basketball team fell short to the Lady Redhawks with a final score of 30-40, and the boys basketball team pulled through to get the win over Goshen, 56-49. 

But these were not the only athletes participating, the third annual intra-squad basketball game was also played by our own Unified team. 

We wanted a way to get the Unified team in front of more people and show the power of inclusion,” head coach of Unified Track, Todd Sheely said.  

Each member of the Unified team got a chance to participate in the game. All of the participants were split into two different teams: one team coached by Social Studies teacher Stephen Asbury and the other by Language Arts teacher Mike Henderson. 

The game was held during halftime of the boys basketball game, providing a nice, feel good break between the intense boys basketball games. 

“Seeing everyone cheer on the Unified team was the best part of the night. The game was a lot of fun to watch. It brought everyone together,” senior Johnnie McCarey said.  

There was even more to the game than just basketball. Students also walked around collecting money for Special Olympics. 

Since our school is a Champion school, every year four pillars must be fulfilled and one of those is raising $1,500 for Special Olympics Indiana. With the help of fans, students, and Goshen’s Athletic Department, $300 was raised that night, bringing the total amount raised this year to $675.

Help the Unified team reach their goal of being a Champion school once again and donate. If the $1,500 is raised, then both Coach Todd Sheely and senior athlete Tyler Lehner will take the Polar Plunge on Saturday, Feb. 29.