Stop holding grudges

Life gets easier when you decide to stop holding grudges and you start being nicer.

Jahlea Douglas

Senior Kailey Blazier is the opinion editor for Elkhart Memorial GENESIS who specializes in opinion writing.

Kailey Blazier, Opinion Editor

High school beef, let alone, is stupid. What is more stupid is holding onto the beef for a long time.

I mean, what is the point? It is so much harder to shoot someone dirty looks every time that you see them than it is to simply come to terms that you two will not get along and leave it alone.

Even if there is a serious issue between two people, that does not give them a reason to be nasty. Some personalities simply do not work and that is something that people must accept, not fight.

Drama is so much work! Like seriously! Have you ever tried to be mad at someone that you talk to everyday simply because they did something small?

It is hard and takes a lot of effort! Not to mention, in the long run, whatever you were mad about will no longer matter. So why continue to do it?

According to The Conversation, a country wide publication, “only 1% of friendships that started in seventh grade – when the pupils are 12-13 years old – lasted for the full five-year period” of their study.

Chances are, that person that you are arguing with at the moment, will not even be in your life in five years.

After high school, people tend to go to college, move away, or stay at home. The people who go to college are less likely to see people they know unless they make an effort to see them.

Those who move farther away have very little to no chance of seeing people from high school.

Long story short, the chances of seeing that one girl that you loved giving dirty looks to in the hall every day are very slim.

If you do end up seeing that person again in life, there is a good chance it is because of business or work. You are better off to have that person on your side and not against you.

This huge issue comes with one simple resolution. Stop holding onto grudges and spread more peace than negativity. This will get you farther in the long run.

Be nice to people. And if you can’t, just don’t communicate with them unless needed. It is such an easy thing to do that in the end, solves many problems.

The views in this column do not necessarily reflect the views of the GENESIS staff. Email Kailey Blazier at [email protected].