Get With It

Teachers need to get with the flow and get their grades in on time.

Jahlea Douglas

Senior Kailey Blazier is the opinion editor for Elkhart Memorial GENESIS who specializes in opinion writing.

Kailey Blazier, Opinion Editor

My biggest pet peeve is probably one that all students can agree on: Teachers waiting until the last minute of the semester to enter month old assignments.

Teachers, this is not in anyway intended to bash on you or the way that you grade, but it would be nice to know where I stand in your class before the last day of the semester. 

For example, when I see that my unit five, unit six, and unit seven tests are all being put in on the same day, it makes me feel uneasy and queasy.  

This could mean that one or two bad tests are completely changing my grade from what is previously was.

When teachers wait to enter grades, students suffer great stress when they see that their grades were not as expected. 

This not only puts stress on students, but also teachers. If there were a mistake with the grading or the submission of an assignment, this results in the student coming to the teacher desperately hours before grades are pulled.  

Issues such as these are easily avoidable. Teachers are assigned one 90 minute prep per day. Unless the teacher decides to spend that time covering another class, it stands as a prime time to grade. 

There is no excuse that something should remain ungraded for more than a month. Why continue assigning work when you have yet to catch up with the previous work that still stands ungraded? 

As students, we understand that you have a curriculum you must meet and complete by the end of the semester, but we need you, as teachers, to understand that we too have standards that we need to meet. 

We strive to achieve the best grades that we can and when we see a bad grade put in last minute, we are given little to no time to makeup for our errors. 

This issue does not only come with academic repercussions such as a lowered grade point average (GPA), but also potential issues at home. 

Parents are not going to fall for the good old “my teacher put three units worth of tests in one day,” excuse for why our grade dropped so unexpectedly. 

Grading is something so small and simple that in the end, has a huge impact on both students and their home life. Teachers need to understand this fact and begin to take grading more serious.

The views in this column do not necessarily reflect the views of the GENESIS staff. Email Kailey Blazier at [email protected] .