Community Comes Together

Jennifer Quintano, Writer

During a crisis like COVID-19 pandemic, this community comes together to help each other out.

The moment that school closed on March 17, Bacon Hill Kitchen posted on Facebook that it was giving out free lunches for students in need of food. No money was needed, only a student I.D. On March 20, the owner posted that they had handed out over 2,000 free lunches the past three days! Obviously, they could not continue at that rate. However, that does not diminish their efforts.

Elkhart Community Schools also posted that it is giving free meals for all children 18 or younger. This avenue is more sustainable long term. Workers are providing this on Mondays and Wednesdays all the way through May 1. They have plenty of elementary school pick-up locations, including Mary Daly, Mary Feeser, Monger, Pinewood, Beardsley, Roosevelt, and Woodland. Each student gets three lunches and three breakfasts on Mondays. On Wednesdays, the student gets two lunches and two breakfasts. It’s a simple grab-and-go program, but the student has to be there in person to pick it up.

In addition to meals, the schools are also providing WIFI within 200 to 300 feet of the hot spots. The locations are Beardsley, Bristol, Hawthorne, Mary Beck, Mary Daly, Monger, Roosevelt, and Woodland elementary schools. It may not be perfect, but they are doing their best to meet the needs of all students.

Not only are community organizations helping out, but individuals within the community are also doing their part. Leads Vegas, a freshman at Central, pointed out that the simplest way every single person can help out is by social distancing. “One way my mom, brother, sister, and I help is we buy our grandparents groceries so they won’t be at risk going out in public.” This will slow the spread of the virus and protect the most vulnerable at the same time.

Locals are also encouraged to help out restaurant owners suffering from the quarantining by taking advantage of their curb-side, take-out food and free deliveries. Participate in the Taco Tuesdays at La Esperanza or the Tuscan Thursdays at Antonio’s! There are a million restaurants in the community that would welcome the business. Or, join in with celebrity fundraising, such as Kim Kardashian West’s, who is donating proceeds from her line to an organization helping out the coronavirus.

It is in times such as these where the best in human nature shines forth. Hopefully, none of that goodness will fade into the sunset when this pandemic is over.