The Best Brain Food: Music

The Best Brain Food: Music

Lilly Ganczak, Staff Writer

Music…. the universal language!

Creating music can do so many tremendous things for people! Studies in neuroscience indicate that music can be especially beneficial to the brain–it provides a total workout for the mind. Recent studies have shown that music helps maintain and improve attention and memory skills, increases coordination, reduces stress, and boosts overall brain function. Musicians tend to be more mentally alert, as well. In fact, music gives people the ability to express themselves in a way no other activity can! It is something all people can understand and feel. It truly is the universal language. 

Symphony orchestra violinist Katie Huang shares her thoughts on this topic, saying, “I have been playing the violin ever since I can remember, and I am now a senior in high school.” She explains further: “Playing my instrument is something I look forward to, and I love being in a class with very experienced musicians. I think it benefits students mentally,” Huang adds, “and even people in general. When I get to play, I feel like I am accomplishing something, which is pretty rewarding.” She continues with a smile on her face, “Music gives people the freedom to show off a side of them that most people keep hidden. Even if you yourself are not creating the music, listening to songs is great, as well. Ever since I was little, I’ve found comfort in listening to music, and I know many people who can relate to that, as well.” 

Most people’s emotional well-being is much stronger when music is incorporated into their lives. Music has been shown to activate some of the broadest and most diverse networks of the brain, which is just so amazing. Even if a person isn’t into playing an instrument, or vocally creating music, he or she should consider listening to more of his or her favorite songs and artists. Life would just be so bland without music!