Track-Or-Treat Set For Saturday

Rice Field’s track will again be the destination place for kids hoping to have a safe and fun trick-or-treating experience.

Salah Ali, Staff Writer

Who doesn’t love candy!

With just a few days away until Halloween, it’s getting exciting as to what treats everyone is going to get. However, it’s not always safe for younger children to just wander around different neighborhoods–that’s what Track-or-Treat is for. The Track-or-Treat program was set in place to allow for safe trick-or-treating and is a great way to show how the high school is helping out our community. This Elkhart tradition has seen many student volunteers come to help out–most of whom participate with their club, organization, or athletic team.

Teagen Rodriguez, a senior, is a student who has volunteered in the past and was willing to share his experience. “My favorite part was just having fun with my teammates, and making the younger kids laugh.” He also goes on to add this: “We got to make them feel cool when they left our table.” It is truly a heartwarming experience getting to see the younger kids having fun, getting candy, and being safe. Rodriguez expects everything for the kids this year–but hopes for a larger variety of candies “because last year, we had too many M&Ms!”

This event will take place at the Elkhart High School’s East Campus (Freshman Division) tomorrow–Saturday, Oct.30. The program will last from 5:00-6:30 p.m. at Rice Field. It is a FREE community event that is recommended for kids to trick-or-treat in a safe environment while also having fun. There will be different athletic teams, clubs, and organizations with stands passing out candy. This is a fun tradition that has been done for the past 6 years. Organizers are hoping for another successful year.

During this event, treats and candy will be provided by every table/station there, and children can go around to every table. Also, some extra information for the volunteers include: a $100 cash prize for the group with the best decorated table, and a costume contest for the high schoolers, with a $50 cash prize for first and second place.