Squid Game: It’s Anything But Child’s Play

Kyla Albright, Staff Writer

Looking for a new binge worthy show? Squid Game came out on Netflix recently, and it is breaking the internet. 

Netflix’s newest big hit topped the charts in just a few days. The show revolves around the main character, Seong Gi-hun, who is severely in debt and lives with his mother. When offered the chance to win some money, he takes the chance. In all, 456 people decide to play a series of childhood games in order to win. The catch is this: If they lose, they die.

Dania Razaq, a sophomore at Elkhart High School, recently watched the show herself. But, would she play the game? “I would, but after everyone decides against continuing, I wouldn’t come back.” In the show, the majority votes to go home after the first game is complete. After a while, they are allowed to come back if they dare. Razaq is confident that she would not have come back to play the rest of the games.

The show has fans talking around the world. From social media, to in person conversations, everyone is raving about it. The question is, Why? The possibilities are endless. It could be because of the action packed into every episode, or maybe the drama between the characters. “I like it because it really shows how people act when they are really desperate, and how poor people struggle,” Razaq exclaims.Would she recommend others to watch Squid Game? “Yes, it’s really addicting to watch, and it’s easy to get through.” She states. While people around the world are watching the show, it originated in Korea and is named after a child’s game played in that country. However, this series is anything but a child’s game–which makes it so appealing.