EHS’s Library: A Hidden Gem

Mrs. Colleen Shook and Mrs. Peggy Gay make the Library a primary EHS destination spot.

Hanna Al-Aloosi, Staff Writer

Ever heard the line, “Dead but never forgotten”? That’s certainly not the EHS Library this year!

“Before COVID, we were busy”–as a library should be–notes Mrs. Peggy Gay, librarian at EHS. However, COVID took its toll on the number visiting this area, turning it into a quiet place. This year, though, it is once again as vibrant and the women who operate it. A library is a “happy and safe space for all kids,” shares librarian Mrs. Colleen Shook. And, her goal is to keep it that way.

In fact, just walking into the library, one is overwhelmed by the colorful displays everywhere–not to mention the inviting furniture just begging for someone to sit in them. The EHS Library is definitely a welcoming area and the perfect location to explore great books.

The librarians themselves–Mrs. Shook and Mrs. Gay–are always there as a guiding hand to help students.  One of Mrs. Shook’s favorite adventures is helping kids find the perfect book–even if she has to “work tirelessly” to do so.

The library is open from 8:10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on school days. “We are anxious to welcome kids back in!” Shook adds.

Have any free time? Need something productive to do? Why not become a library assistant! If any student with experience in organizing books–possibly in middle or elementary school–is interested in being a library assistant, there are few spots remaining. This is an excellent way to fill up a free period of study hall time. Just go down to the library and speak with either of the librarians.

As fun as the library may be, Mrs. Shook realizes that following the rules in there will help keep it that way.  When entering the library, for instance, students need to scan their IDs at the front desk. If returning books, they are to be put on the cart in front of the main desk of the library. And, any time during the day is a great time to go to the library, in Shook’s opinion–as long as students have a pass and its not on a No Movement Day (which is Monday and Friday).

During Advisory, the student’s teacher has signed a google form to allow the student to be productive and work in the library. Spots fill up quickly; thus, it is on a first-come, first-served basis.

The library is truly a wonderful place to de-stress, to complete assignments, and–most importantly–to read. Students should be informed about such an epic place–because that’s what it is: epic. Located in “the heart of Student Center, this “Hidden Gem” should be in plain sight.