Oh, The Places This Year’s Seniors Will Go!

Whether entering directly into the workforce, going off to college, or enlisting in the military, this year’s graduating seniors are well prepared.

May 5, 2021

“Oh, the Places You’ll Go!”

This may have been the last book written by Dr. Seuss; however, it’s the first thing on the mind of every graduating senior.

Seniors have some difficult decisions to make for their life. Will they go to college? Will they stay local and work around Elkhart? Or, will they travel the world in advance to those decisions?

There are countless options to choose from, with so little time left. College is the most talked about plan after high school. It’s projected in movies, promoted at school, and encountered in reality. But, what’s not often heard is that not every senior goes to college.

Senior Sean Neff at Elkhart-East is among those. “So, my plans after high school are to go right into working,” he begins. “I already have a couple of jobs lined up and after graduation, so I’ll go and get one of those jobs. Then,” he adds, “I plan on saving for a bit to get my own apartment or rent a house.” Clearly, Neff has put careful thought into his future. But, it doesn’t stop there. “My dream job would have to be that I can become a mechanic and work on cars with my friends in our own mechanic shop.” As a result, Neff won’t need unnecessary advanced educational diplomas for the occupation he’ll possess.

Bryan Callejas-Munguia, another senior at Elkhart-East, also has a well-thought-out plan. However, his involves the military. “I will pursue engineering as my final goal,” Callejas-Munguia asserts. But, that will not start right away.  “After graduation,  I’m dedicating a month vacation until July 19”–his ship date to Boot Camp. “I’m enlisted to join the military for the United States Marine Corps,” he proudly adds. While serving, Callejas-Munguia plans to take advantage of the college opportunities offered through the military.  “I will study for the engineer degree to benefit myself getting a job after military life.”

College may not be for everyone, but it’s requisite for anyone who plans on becoming a lawyer, doctor, pilot, chemical engineer, teacher, or any other degreed occupation. Greta Wesselhoft, yet another senior at Elkhart-East, is passionate about becoming a nurse. In order to do that, she will have to obtain her Bachelor of Science in Nursing.  “I want to attend Ancilla College to get my BSN,” Wesselhoft shares. While there are a variety of nursing colleges in the area, Wesselhoft was anxious to find the one that fit her the best.

Clearly, college is the only logical option for those wanting to enter a field where a diploma is necessary—but it does come at a cost. A four-year degree can range anywhere from $15,000 to $215,000. However, the upside is that university graduates earn more on average than others without. Thus, the hope is that they will recoup their investment over the years. In addition, some studies also indicate that college graduates are more likely to experience more job satisfaction, enjoying “a profession” rather than just “a job.” But, on a more practical level, a college degree could equate to better healthcare in the future–something that all people need to take into consideration.

Although these seniors have a set plan for their future, there are still those who do not. That’s where the Dual Credit program may come in handy. In fact, many graduating from Elkhart High School this year will also be graduating from Ivy Tech. Thus, they will not only receive a high school diploma but also an Associates Degree. Having this two-year degree on their resume may help them in their job search or simply shorten the amount of time required to earn a bachelor’s degree elsewhere.  Either way, it will benefit them to have it.

Therefore, as seniors walk across that stage next month with diploma in hand, they will not be directionless. On that day, they should recall the “doctor’s” advice: “Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So,” as Seuss prescribes, “get on your way!”

View Comments(1)

The PENNANT Online • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (1)

All The PENNANT Online Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• G

GuadalupeMay 18, 2021 at 9:02 pm

I totally agree college is not for everyone! People have different mindsets on what they want to do after college. As long as they are happy on what they want to persue they should be all set for what the future awaits for them!

Reply
1