Chargers win big over Mishawaka Marian

The Elkhart Memorial Chargers held their home ground against Mishawaka Marian, winning 58-54. Before Saturday’s game, Marian was ranked sixth in Class 3A.

Photo courtesy of Kellen Hartman

An overview shot of Saturday’s Game. The Elkhart Memorial Chargers beat the Mishawaka Marian Knights 58-54.

Brian Ketchum, Arts and Entertainment Editor

The Elkhart Memorial Chargers got a tough win over Mishawaka Marian Saturday afternoon, outscoring the Knights 58-54.

Entering the matchup with an 11-2 record, the Knights were led by standout junior Jaden Ivey. Ivey is a three star recruit and ranked seventh among the 2020 class in Indiana, according to 247sports.com. The 6’2″ guard has received interest from big name colleges like Notre Dame, Indiana and Ohio State.

“Our guys played very well together. Offensively, the team just kept finding the open man and didn’t care who was doing the scoring,” said coach Kyle Sears.

Ivey is very good and can score in bunches which is why he finished with 30.

— Coach Kyle Sears

Ivey was able to rack up 30 points before fouling out late in the fourth quarter, minutes after senior Hank Smith was charged with his fifth foul also.

Smith would end the game with 13 points, to go along with 16 from sophomore D’Arjon Lewis and another 13 from senior Trey Gallope.

The game would prove to be a good one, as many had expected it to be. The two teams who were both upwards of a 75% win percentage, competed neck and neck for all four quarters.

Going into halftime, the Chargers only had a two point lead, and were only able to extend that lead to six by the end of the third. But good signs of improved free throw shooting and proficient rebound all game really helped Memorial pull the win out in the end.

Actually we didn’t practice free throws this week. I think our guys were in their own heads. Today they went to the line and knocked them down.

— Coach Kyle Sears

“Rebounding was key factor today as we talked at every timeout and chance we could about getting the first rebound,” Sears said.

Later in the second half of the game, the Chargers took a hit that may be problematic in the long run. Senior Javon Forester went tumbling into the bleachers and was helped off the court by teammates. Forester would not re-enter the game for the Chargers.

Despite the tough loss of Forester and his presence in the paint, the Chargers were still able to pull away from the Knights late.

Looking to increase their three game winning streak this Friday, the Chargers will play at home against the Northwood Panthers on Feb. 8.