Cheers to the New Year!

Winter semi-formal brings friends, fun, and fashion

Felisha Campanello, News Editor

Joy filled the air as students piled into the cafeteria on Friday, Jan. 18. The National Honor Society (NHS) was hosting their annual winter dance: Cheers to the New Year!

Senior Ashlynn Hooper attended the dance in a stunning, sparkling maroon dress. Her goal? To dance

the night away with her friends.

Not many people have gone to every single dance in their high school experience, but Hooper is one that has made it to most.

“I’ve been to every high school dance except for one. I love every part of it!!” Hooper said.

Dresses and suits were different for everyone, but fashion was definitely a priority out on the dance floor.

Wearing a lime green dress, that definitely stood out, senior Alexis Griman attended with senior Bryce Cole. They took many photos and had a blast at their last Winter Formal.

“I got my dress from Amazon!” Griman shared with enthusiasm.

Upon entering the event, they took pictures in front of the photobooth backdrop and used silly props. The ‘Happy New Year!’ frame was among the most popular props.

NHS member senior Hope Leonard was in charge of the decoration committee.

“I am proud of the way the decorations ended up,” Leonard said. “My committee and I all worked hard, and I am also very thankful to everyone who donated decorations!”

Decorations throughout the cafeteria were elegant, gold and silver in color, transforming the area into a festive ballroom.

After pictures, the DJ turned on the “Cupid Shuffle” and “Cha Cha Slide.” Everyone flooded to the dancefloor and started to dance their hearts out.

Central Blazer senior Bre Aguirre attended as the guest of sophomore Ky-Rell Qaiyim. They were both wearing yellow as their theme for the dance.

“My favorite part of the night was the ‘Cupid Shuffle’,” said Aguirre.

While some students attended with dates, many others attended the dance with their best friends. Sophomore Ashlyn Hostetter and exchange student sophomore Alba Pallares went together. Pallares and Hostetter had a blast and enjoyed the music.

“I wanted to enjoy the American experience,” Pallares said. “My favorite part was getting ready!”

Their smiles overfilled the room as the night continued.

At one point, Ed Sheeran’s song “Perfect” played and students paired up and stepped onto the dance floor. Sophomore D’Arjon Lewis danced with Sophomore Maddie Gray.

“I came here to spend time with Maddie,” said Lewis.

For the remainder of the evening, giggles, dancing, and joy could be heard throughout the cafeteria as students celebrated the New Year.