Chargers roll over ECA in season opener

As+the+starting+line-up+for+our+Crimson+Chargers+is+being+called+on+Tues.+Dec.+3%2C+senior+Brackton+Miller+runs+out+onto+the+court+with+the+encouragement+of+his+team+and+the+crowd.+

Photo courtesy of Kellen Hartman

As the starting line-up for our Crimson Chargers is being called on Tues. Dec. 3, senior Brackton Miller runs out onto the court with the encouragement of his team and the crowd.

Damien Funnell, Staff Writer/ Sports Score Manager

The Chargers started the season with a blowout win over Elkhart Christian Academy (ECA), with a final score of  77-48. Don’t let the score fool you though, the game started off seemingly even in the first half of play. Junior D’arjon Lewis lead the way on both sides of the ball, playing stellar defense and orchestrating the offense efficiently. However, ECA didn’t back down. They came back and hit shots of their own, lighting it up from the perimeter in the first half. 

Going into halftime, the score was 32-24 with ECA trailing our Chargers. Coming out of the locker room, the Chargers hit the court with a sense of urgency. Sophomore Malachi Emmons got the crowd on their feet with his scoring spree. At that point, the momentum of the game shifted in our favor and once we had it, it never slipped away. The Chargers stomped ECA in scoring in the third quarter 25-13. 

The Chargers didn’t let up even in the fourth quarter of play. Freshman Damorion Anderson and senior Brandon Brooks both crashed the boards with a combined 19 rebounds on the night, which sealed the win. With a final score of 77-48, Our Chargers won with ease in the season opener.

On this Friday, Dec. 6 we find out if the momentum carries into the last rivalry game with Elkhart Central.