Girls basketball team shows positive attitude ahead of the season opener against Mishawaka

Photo courtesy of Susan Kay Photography

Senior Mya Reeve dribbles past a defender from Warsaw in the Phyllis Tubbs Gym during the 2018-2019 season.

Damien Funnell, Staff Writer/Sports Score Manager

Ahead of Thursday’s season opener when our girl’s basketball team faces against Mishawaka, sophomore Mady Axsom and senior Mya Reeves spoke on the expectations that they have for their team and themselves this season. 

“I look forward to being able to take the basis of our team from last year with it,” Axsom said. “I’m excited to see how much we grew from last year.”

Axsom started last year as a freshman and got to see the game at a younger age than most. Charger fans should see a lot of improvement from her this season as she appears to be embracing her leadership role on the team with enthusiasm.

“This year I’m running the point (guard) for our team,” Axsom said with confidence. “I think this year especially, it’s going to be important that I contribute and involve my teammates 100% every game for us to have the best season.” 

Dating back to last year’s opener against Mishawaka, our Chargers managed to win a tight game at home with the final score being 54-52. While the team has some players with a lot of experience, the team is still relatively young.

“This team is very young so that makes them very impressionable,” Reeves said. “They have a lot to learn, but they know that I’m here to help them along the way and they can relate to me.” 

As a fourth year varsity starter, she also believes that this game will be a great first one for the girls to get to their chemistry right.

“It’s not like our group has been playing with each other for years,” Reeves added. “A big part of being a team is knowing each others strengths and weaknesses and we’re all still getting to know that.” 

Tomorrow the Chargers will travel to face the Cavemen in a confident manner, that they can get their first win of the season and build chemistry together.

The JV team opens the night at 6 p.m. with varsity tip-off to follow directly after.