The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

“Halloween” 1978: A horror classic that tops off our spooky movie countdown

A Jack o’ Lantern made for the Holywell Manor Halloween celebrations in 2003. 31 October 2003. Author, Toby Ord https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Jack-o%27-Lantern_2003-10-31.jpg

Felisha Campanello, News Editor

The 1978 slasher film, “Halloween,” directed by John Carpenter tops off our scary movie review series for its terrifying storyline and brilliant screenplay. After co-writing and directing “Halloween,” Carpenter became the most influential horror director of the era with his eerie storytelling and spine-chilling foreshadowing. 

“Halloween” has a simple storyline that details the murderer Michael Myers and his seemingly horrific antics, both on-screen and off-screen.

The movie is one of those horror movies that makes you say “Oh my gosh that dumb blonde chick is so stupid!” Although we laugh and mock characters who instinctively run away from danger looking absolutely hilarious, our protagonist, Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis), often known as the original “Final Girl,” gives a genre-defining performance that is still mimicked today. 

“Halloween” made me feel even more uneasy about serial killers and the idea that they really exist. Michael Myers wasn’t seen as supernatural (at least in the first movie). He was just a psychotic killer, to say the least. The possibility of this actually happening gives me chills. 

The camerawork of “Halloween” is sensational, from the dark abandoned streets, to the bare houses, the suspense kept my heart pounding.

The soundtrack made a tingle go up my spine with fear of what might happen next. The only thing I didn’t like about this movie was how slow it got at times.

I give this movie 6/10 Greenfields. While it isn’t my favorite scary movie, it’s a good choice if you are looking for a classic to watch on this spooky day.

The views in this column do not necessarily reflect the views of the GENESIS staff. Email Felisha Campanello at [email protected] .