Miss the ElkLogics Robotics Team call-out meeting? Here’s a recap.

The first official team meeting is on Sept. 17 and there is still time to join.

Photo courtesy of @EMChargers

Robotics Coach and EMHS Technology and Engineering teacher, Nick Seidl, shares a robot built by the Robotics Team with the preschoolers enrolled in Mrs. Sear’s Advanced Child Development Program on Thursday, May 9 at Elkhart Memorial High School.

Richard Bautista, Staff Writer

The ElkLogics Robotics Team is a group of Elkhart students from both Memorial and Central who come together with a goal of furthering their knowledge about science, technology, engineering and mathematics while also learning life lessons about time management, leadership, teamwork and problem solving. On Tues. Sept. 10, ElkLogics held a call-out meeting for all interested students. If you missed the meeting, the highlights are below:

1. Even if a student missed the meeting and they are interested, they can still join the team by talking to Nick Seidl. He can be reached at [email protected].
  2. The first official team meeting is Sept. 17 at Elkhart Central from 5:30-8:00. During this meeting, the team plans to engage in a number of activities: ice breakers, round robin and an instant challenge are among the main activities on the agenda.
  3. Being a member of the team includes about 20 hours a week of commitment. However, there is some flexibility. The coaches do not want team members to sacrifice their grades or family for team membership.
  4. Grades matter. The team requires that members maintain a minimum of a C, and they shouldn’t be failing any class.
  5. The team attends two main events. One is at Penn and the other is in Meridian or in Bloomington.
  6. Team members also have the opportunity to work with mentors from the community who work in various professions. These mentors help the team to design and build their robot so that it is ready for competition.  An important thing to note is that they choose a delegate, who is essentially the leader of the group.
  7. Team members break into three specialized groups to complete the tasks necessary to build a robot: Fabrication, CAD (Computer Aided Drafting), and Electronics, each one being vital to the production of the robot.
  8. Scholarships. There are 80 million dollars of unclaimed scholarships out there that team members can earn by participating in robotics. One in three applicants are awarded a scholarship.

Robotics is open to all students with intentions of gaining knowledge about programming, 3D modeling or engineering. If you have an interest in one of these subjects, then reach out to Nick Seidl for more information and follow the ElkLogics Twitter.