Athlete of the Week: Girls lacrosse athlete, Jennifer Lopez, takes on new season

2018+girls+lacrosse+captain%2C+Jennifer+Lopez%2C+takes+time+out+during+advisory+for+a+photo+opportunity+with+GENESIS.+Lopez+is+our+GENESIS+Athlete+of+the+Week.+

Dana Ibarra Escobar

2018 girls lacrosse captain, Jennifer Lopez, takes time out during advisory for a photo opportunity with GENESIS. Lopez is our GENESIS Athlete of the Week.

Dana Ibarra, Staff Writer

Junior Jennifer Lopez officially began her second season of lacrosse this week. Named captain as a sophomore during her first season, Lopez is without a doubt a leader and a standout athlete.

In its first season, the girls lacrosse team had a rough start. Lopez, and many of the other players, took on the sport with little or no experience, but that didn’t mean that they weren’t full of ambition.

“It was pretty hard in the beginning,” said Lopez. “not just for me, but everyone [else] was inexperienced too, but I knew it gave us plenty of room to improve.”

Now, starting off with a new season, one of her biggest goals this year is to gain more confidence and to become a great player on the field, and as a person.

“Even though we didn’t have the best season last year,” said Lopez “there’s always room to improve and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish this year together.”