eLearning: A Lesson Unto Itself

The Struggles of Students and Staff Adapting to a New Way of Learning.

Virtue Nyarko, Editor-in-Chief

After only a month, eLearning has proven itself to be both successful and unresourceful in many ways. With limited access to internet for many students, the expectation for students to keep up in classes seems unlikely— especially without the necessary materials. However, the struggle of online learning does not only apply to students but to teachers, as well. “Students have been around technology for a long time and most teachers have adapted to the thought and process of technology—such as Canvas—but some have not, which makes things like turning in assignments, doing quizzes, and grading much harder,” says Mikayla Stanford, 12. 

Teachers now have to be available at almost all times during the school day. And, with certain websites being restricted, or creating extra measures to prevent cheating, the workload is more than it was during school. Especially for hands on classes such as art, woodwork, science, etc. , teachers have to resort to worksheets and material not used before. For Alexis Gullett, 9, her main struggle is that “If you need help or have a problem, you have to email the teachers and wait for their response.”

Many students have these struggles, but online learning is also easier in certain aspects. “Students can get more rest and be alert enough to finish their school work in a timely manner and teachers are also much more understanding if students are not comprehending assignments because of the confusing instructions,” states Stanford. 

Although the process is confusing and new, the switch to online learning could be useful in the future, giving both teachers and students an insight into learning new techniques and preparing for a situation similar to this in the future.