The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

Unified Track: “Winners” Already Heading Into Sectionals

In the Good Book, there is a passage that states,  “I have fought the good fight; I have finished the race.” But, for some, the race is nowhere close to done. In fact, they are just hitting their stride.

This is the case for the EHS Unified Track team, who took first at the Goshen Invite Monday, competing against 11 area teams. Heading into Sectionals on May 18, these competitors  find themselves on solid footing–due, in great part, to the dedicated leadership of head coach Todd Sheely. “This is my eighth year as head coach,” states Sheely with pride. Four of those years have been with the newly established Elkhart High, while the previous four were with Memorial. “We even won a State Championship in 2018!” Sheely excitedly notes.

With tournament season on the horizon, Sheely hopes to add another title to the accomplishments of this unique group of athletes, which was first developed through Special Olympics and is now a fully sanctioned IHSSA sport. “Unified Sports joins people with and without intellectual disabilities on the same team,” Sheely explains. And, while crossing the finish line in glory is a definite goal for each member, the bigger mission is to provide a collaborative environment where special bonds and friendships form. It was inspired by a simple principle: Training together and playing together is a quick path to friendship and understanding.”

While many of the athletes with IEP’s compete individually, others are partnered with a general education student. They train together, laugh together, and celebrate even the smallest of accomplishments together. Cassidy Cook, a sophomore, is one of the many returnees on the team. “This is my second year–and I love every part of it!” Cook exclaims. She is especially taken with the “special bonds” created that extend well beyond the competition season.

Recalling her first encounter with the team, Cook shares her amazement with the instant comradery experienced: “A story that means a lot to me is the day after my first practice last year; I was already recognized by my teammates–not only at practice but at school, too!” From that moment on, Cook knew that she had become involved with something larger than herself.

Not surprisingly, Cook loves the thrill of competing in the 400 meter dash and long jump against other local high schools in the area: Penn, South Bend Adams, South Bend Riley, Goshen, Jimtown, and Mishawaka. However, she is equally overjoyed rooting on her fellow athletes. “While not competing,” Cook points out, “I cheer on all my teammates.” Likewise, they do the same for her. 

But, as enthusiastic and Cook is on the sidelines, teammate and sophomore Melquiz Maradiaga has found his ultimate motivation through senior Juvens Coleman. “That man is crazy fast!” declares Maradiaga. When not competing himself, Coleman runs on the inside of track to push Maradiaga to excel. “I can hear JuJu saying, ‘Go, Melquiz! Go! Go! Go!'” That extra push resulted in 400 meter wins on his home turf at Rice Field, as well as at Wawasee and South Bend Adams–making Maradiaga a front-runner at Sectionals. “I was nervous,” Maradiaga admits about his wins. “But, I was so proud of myself.”

As proud as Maradiaga may be of his personal accomplishments, possibly no one is more proud of him than Damian Guerra Gomez. The two bonded almost immediately. And, as a junior, Guerra Gomez is excited that he has yet another year to cultivate that relationship further. “He’s really cool!” Maradiaga says of his new friend. Because of his positive experiences, Maradiaga encourages others to join Unified Track so that they, too, can experience all of the benefits he has. “You should join track because [when teaming with others], it makes you stronger, smarter…and gives you more activities to get involved in!”

Unified Track is open to all high schoolers. Sometimes, though, seniors believe that it is too late to join a new activity or sport during that final year–but not Tumarye Morris! His reason for becoming involved just this year is simple in its wording but impactful in its message: “I do this because I want to help special education students in their skills and also set an example for them so that they see they can do something great with their lives.” The rewards, however, have been tenfold for Morris. “My favorite part about it is how I can come here everyday and see them smile–and them smiling makes my day so much better!” Reflecting momentarily, he adds, “All the bonds we have created are just so great!” These treasured moments will be something Morris keeps with him long after graduation in a few weeks.

As students come and go, however, Sheely will stay to eagerly usher in a new set of future champions. Sheely himself is no stranger to competing in sports, as well as coaching others, but nothing holds a candle to Unified Track, which has captured his heart. “Seeing the smiles on all the kids’ faces–and the true sportsmanship that exists in this sport–is why I do it.“

To that end, the world says to Sheely: “Well done, good and faithful servant; your efforts do not go unnoticed.”