The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

Getting To The Heart Of The Matter

A Guide to Gifts this Valentine’s Day 
Getting To The Heart Of The Matter

Romance is in the air: bouquets of roses…boxes filled with chocolate…oversized teddy bears.

Valentine’s Day is seen by so many as a day to appreciate that special someone in one’s life and show love and affection through gift-giving and quality time. Any gift given during the Valentine’s Day celebrations is a testament to the strength and characteristics of any romantic relationship, so it’s imperative that any gifts given correctly represent feelings for any romantic partner.

Valentine’s Day, though originating many years ago in the worship of the Christian Saint Valentine, is traditionally seen as a day for lovers to come together to appreciate one another. With the holiday right around the corner on February 14, it’s vital to know what a significant other wants as a gift. 

According to Mrs. Janis Elli, a teacher at Elkhart High School, the key to a great gift is spending time with a loved one, especially when it involves cooking or snacking together. “I’ve always loved receiving snacks or treats for Valentine’s Day,” states Mrs. Elli. “I think that the most important part of Valentine’s Day is spending quality time with your partner, especially when it involves eating food together.” Elli believes that food has always been a way for people to connect.

Kylie Aguilar, a senior, believes that flowers are a perfect gift for Valentine’s Day. “Flowers are beautiful and something that any girl wants for Valentine’s Day. When I received a bouquet of flowers as a gift, I felt extremely happy and appreciated.”

On the other hand, the gentlemen at Elkhart High School believe that the perfect gift is should be more personal. According to Mr. Stephen Asbury, the best gift is one that is more sentimental than fiscal. Asbury has been married for 19 years, and he believes that the key to the perfect gift is something meaningful. “For me, I live by the saying, ‘It’s the thought that counts.’ I start paying attention in January to what she’s looking for. The ideal gift is one that represents your relationship.”

Following this same pattern, Jaidon Bestman, a junior, had this to say: “I believe that the perfect gift is basking in each other’s presence. Spending time with whomever you care about is really what Valentine’s Day is about.”

Clearly, gifts are an important element of Valentine’s Day. However, it would appear that what’s in one’s heart is more important than what’s in one’s wallet.

View Comments (4)